I did my first oil change on my OWN..

NaturaTek

Did my first oil change ever...yes this noob is going up in ranks.

BUT..

I'm breaking my head over whether or not I screwed up in how much oil I put in. Cousin (mechanic) told me it's 5 quarts. Some people actually told me 6 quarts.

Chilton manual says add 3-4 quarts, then keep adding oil and check the stick.

I put in the whole 5 quart jug of Mobil 1. I haven't seen anything leak? Googling also reveals 5quarts recommended for my 1990 v6 nissan pathy.

Did I screw up and put too much? I have driven it for 3 days already and my conscious is killing. Today a local friend told me if I 'overfill' I'm actually not correctly lubricating the engine.

Some please tell me the recommended quarts of oil needed for a Nissan pathy 1990 v6!

Also, the oil dipstick... what is recommended, that you do NOT past the H? Or stay at a certain spot on the stick reading?

And if I did put too much oil, what are the consequences and/or symptoms? And what should I do..drain a little oil, or do a new complete oil change?

I really hope the 5 quarts I put in was correct :(

Did my first oil change ever...yes this noob is going up in ranks.

BUT..

I'm breaking my head over whether or not I screwed up in how much oil I put in. Cousin (mechanic) told me it's 5 quarts. Some people actually told me 6 quarts.

Chilton manual says add 3-4 quarts, then keep adding oil and check the stick.

I put in the whole 5 quart jug of Mobil 1. I haven't seen anything leak? Googling also reveals 5quarts recommended for my 1990 v6 nissan pathy.

Your cousin? He's an idiot. Don't ever take a car to him - if he can't get this right or at least tell you "I don't know," then you don't need to have him work on your car.

Whoever told you 6 quarts? They're even bigger idiots.

Per the 1990 Factory Service Manual, and assuming you changed the filter at the same time, the 4x4 V6 takes 3 and 5/8 quarts. The 2WD takes 4 and 1/4 quarts.

And yes, if you overfill, the crank can "froth" the oil and generate little bubbles that don't contain lubricant, yet get stuffed into the oiling system.

Looks like you're going to be siphoning or draining out some oil.

Edited by GhostPath

Er... really just 3 5/8? I'll look it up on alldata tomorrow, but I would swear it said something like 8.3 or so. Though I may be remember the A/T fluid... lol.

I'm looking at the manual right now.

The 2WD auto trans is 8 3/8 quarts, the 4WD is 9 quarts.

yeah, my owner's manual says 3 5/8 and i have the v6, auto trans, 4wd and stuff. and that's how much i put in.

does anyone else's engine idle higher after they change their oil? mine does. but then after a few weeks or a month w/ the new oil it drops down to normal.

Yep. 3.5L (3 5/8 qts) is what's required in our Pathy's. NOt a whole pile of oil in there, which is part of the reason why you have to follow the change interval closely.

How would you recommend I remove the excess? Should I 'siphon' or drain from the bottom?

So I got this straight now, 1990 v6 takes approximately 3 and 5/8 quarts? Dang it, first oil job and I messed it all up.

I should've listened to the chiltons manual at least, it says put it in 3 to 4 quarts then check levels/add from there.

I feel like just draining everything and start from scratch.

On dipstick I should NOT pass the H level?

there's an H and an L on the dipstick for a reason..... don't go past the H.

whoever told you 8qts, 9qts is a chevy guy....... or has a humungous pick up truck. slap them...... HARD.

drain some from the bottom, if you can't manage that, drain all the oil and start over. being that overfilled won't help.. there's a reason they say 3-4 qts and not 8...

hey, at least you TRIED, and may i add succeeded, in changing your own oil. you just got some VERY BAD advice, and i hope you take the appropriate revenge on them soon. :crossedwires:

Ok 3 and 5/8 quarts it is. Here's another noob question. I poured in the 5quart jug of Mobil1..If I buy the quart container ones, will there be a notch on the side that tells me quart measures? Example, maybe theres a notch that will tell me what 5/8 quart level should be?

Or will I have to buy a meauring cup and measure that 5/8 exactly?

Why the F do I listen to these non 4x4 noob friends :crazy:

It doesn't have to be EXACT. 3.5 or 3.75 qts won't hurt you. Just eyeball it, and check the dipstick, Dipstick! :tongue::lol:

You're over by 1.5 quarts....THAT is a lot.

Yes, overfull will foam the oil, this is bad. Not sure about your engine, but most engines can handle an extra 1/8 some even 1/4 quart without issue. 1 quart extra is way too much though IMO. Yeah, Simon is right. If you get it plus/minus a 1/8 of a quart, you will be way more accurate than half the quick change oil&lube places out there (trust me, always double check those guys after the engine has sat off for a couple of minutes - they show you the disptick right away before the oil settles, many times they have overfilled my vehicle, I don't go to them anymore. If you do, instruct them exactly how much to put in.)

You should be able to remove the drain plug and let out some oil, maybe do a count to 4 or 5 while it is coming out, and then put the plug right back in. Then double check your level.

One thing to note- the new oil filter is empty right now (you did put a new filter on, right?!?!). When you first start the engine, the filter will start filling up (this is why the oil light will stay on for a few seconds until the system fills back up, this is ok) and that makes the level at the dipstick drop. That is why you need to recheck the level. When you put the new filter on, did you first wipe the filter mounting surface on the block nice and clean and put a thin film of new oil on the new filter gasket?

Good for you for doing your first oil change. Everyone here was in this position at one time, and some are may still yet have to do this.

Edited by BowTied

Yes I did put a new oil filter. I also put fresh oil into the filter (via a tip I got from ehow.com), and did the light lubing around the ring and a nice hand tightened finish.

I will empty out tonight and do right way. If you overfill, the oil should be way up pass the H? I do remember pulling out the dipstick and it just being half oiled, dang it, smack me!

Ok 3 and 5/8 quarts it is. Here's another noob question. I poured in the 5quart jug of Mobil1..If I buy the quart container ones, will there be a notch on the side that tells me quart measures? Example, maybe theres a notch that will tell me what 5/8 quart level should be?

Or will I have to buy a meauring cup and measure that 5/8 exactly?

Why the F do I listen to these non 4x4 noob friends :crazy:

just put in 4qts. i never mess with trying to figure 5/8 out.. i wouldn't evenm sweat tjhe 5 myself. yeah, it is over but the engine can handle it. i have poured 5 in there before. never had any issues. if you drain, don't drain it all.. that's just a total waste. just pull the bottom plug for like a count of 4 and that should do it..

Why take the chance. As MZ said....remove the plug for a few seconds, and then replace. Then re-check the level. IF you want to be REALLY precise, drain into a measuring cup.