Which insurance companies to avoid?

Oliver

I just heard that I can no longer mooch off of my folks' insurance plan so now I need to venture off to that wonderful world on my own.

I understand that AAA has good rates for members and I've also heard varying horror stories about all the major carriers.

What are your experiences/horror stories/ nuggets of advice on the topic?

When I lived in WA, I used both Geico and Esurance... Both had their ups and downs, but did a great job when I ran into trouble (a metro bus, and a garage lol).

I've heard good and bad things about all insurance companys. Put it this way: They're going to do everything they can to make money and still take care of you well enough that you keep your mouth shut.

I just heard that I can no longer mooch off of my folks' insurance plan so now I need to venture off to that wonderful world on my own.

I understand that AAA has good rates for members and I've also heard varying horror stories about all the major carriers.

What are your experiences/horror stories/ nuggets of advice on the topic?

I have State Farm. Ive had them since I was 16. It was a breeze getting any work done to my cars as my 300zx was hit like 3 times. The people at my agents office are great. I would say that SF tried to drop me after my last accident. I didnt understand as I had more damage to my car than the person I hit(a light scratch & im not kidding). After some talking with my agent, I was told they would keep me, but had to pay a higher rate and crap. Luckily it wasnt that much more. Especially after I changed some of my coverages and then it was less than what I was paying before. Now I have a house and muliple vehicles on my policy and they love me!

I am not sure if WA has a farmers but if they do I would recommend them. I have had 3 cars a boat and my dirtbike (enduro) insured through them and the rates have always been low. I do have a good driving record so that helps. They also send me free vouchers for dinners at certain resturants on my wife and I's birthday and at X-mas!

A data point:

My wife was rear-ended about 12 years ago (0% fault, traffic was stopped by a LEO who witnessed the moron cream her). We had State Farm. I called our agent to find out what, if anything we needed to do. He asked who the moron was insured with. It was Farmers. Agent's response? "Excellent. They will do the right thing, work with them until it is resolved. You shouldn't need me or a lawyer". He was right. It was resolved quickly and fairly. I asked more questions. Bottom line, he said if State Farm, Allstate, or Farmers, odds are it would go well. If AAA, Geico, or any other than those 3, get an attorney involved NOW as history had shown the insurer would take every opportunity to screw everyone involved. No integrity.

Is that still true? Don't know for sure. I still hear constant laments with AAA, Geico, et all. Even a few grumblings about Allstate and State Farm. But still nothing about Farmers.

Also, all insurers are constantly adjusting their "portfolio" of customers to balance out risks. If you are part of the profile they are trying to add, they will offer very attractive rates. If not, the rates will be higher. After I turned 30, I was able to switch from SF to Allstate and get HUGE discounts as Allstate wanted more young professionals with 0 claims or violations in their customer base. State Farm had plenty, so rates were higher. Shop around. My rates have been going up, so I am now re-investigating SF and Farmers to see if they want me more...

To add to this after a good post by mws. I had geico and progressive before I had farmers. The reason I liked geico was that they seemed to cover all bases. My 1995 Camaro SS I had at the time had alot of mods,rims,stereo stuff in/on it. So I had to take the car to geico and they took about 20 pics of everything. I only paid like an extra 20 bucks a month and most of the aftermarket stuff minus engine mods of course were insured. I did like that. But that was when Gieco was not very big. I dropped them because progressive offered me better rates. Well progressive sucked balls. They double charged me like three times. It was the biggest pita to get refunded so I told them just to use the over balance for next months premium. Well I got a letter saying they dropped me for not paying my premium on time. So I said to heck with that and tried to call gieco back. My premiums would have almost doubled in a years span of being gone. They could not explain why either. I had a perfect driving record nothing had changed but my premiums were still almost double. So I had just started dating my wife and she said I should go to Farmers. I have been really happy ever since. When I rolled my truck on it's side they handled it great I got to pick the shop I wanted to fix it and my rate did not go up instead I just didnt get a 3 year discount. So again I highly recommend Farmers. Oh and one more thing. Essurance was hesitant to even cover my Camaro because of the engine modifications. And their quote made me laugh

Ok that gives me some places to look into for quotes. I've had no accidents or tickets so I don't think I should be paying too much, but, then again, I am a white male.....

Huh, Slick. I've gone through Progressive for about 8 years now without issue. They were by far the cheapest when I signed up straight out of college with no dinero, and rates have gone down tons since. I added the wife (gf at the time) like 6 years ago, with no issues, although the rate was fairly high which I think was because she had a few speeding tix. It helps that we have no tickets now (hers are finally off the record!), good credit which is a must in WA for insurance, and we have full coverage even on old vehicles, my 94 Pathy & her 97 Acura CL. The price difference was a few bucks vs. going with just liability anyways, and they didn't bat an eye a couple years ago when a road rage a$$hat cost me a fender, hood, grill, bumper, and associated paint and labor.

I think it all boils down to company + person (credit and personal history) + state + circumstances = a freakin crap shoot. Good luck! :tired: