Argh, power windows woes

Derrik

I have a '91.. None of the 4 windows go down all the way. They have done this since I inherited this Pathy, so I don't know any better. They all stop about 2/3 of the way down. Is this normal; even for the front windows?

This is in addition to its recently-worsened problem of that they rarely work at all, for which I have been diligently conducting research on these forums and which I am about to start troubleshooting this week. Interestingly, if I press two buttons at the same time, it increases the chance that a window will move.

Any advice?

What I plan to do:

1. Check/test the relay (pass kickpanel)

2. clean/test the window motors

3. examine the regulator assembly- incidentally, how would I know if the correct regulator is installed?

4. 3lube the tracks with silicone

anything else?

*nods* Sounds like you have it right... was gonna say, check the relays first, they'd be the cheapest and easiest to replace. Check for any broken or crimped wires you can see coming into or out of the relays. Also check the window motors themselves.

Regulator assembly I couldn't help you with mate, sorry:(

And be careful about what lube you use... I've heard some people say certain ones will deteriorate the rubber seals? Can someone else confirm this?

I've been messin with my windows for a bit now, I found that if you can have dirty or frayed connections to your switch control and as the friction from the weight of the glass gets to be too much, and it breaks the connection and stops the motor.

Though that is strange that all the windows have the same response, and especially if they all roll up fine after they stop on the way down.

But, You seem to know what your checking on, so good luck to you.

Peace

Edited by The Pimpness Monster

Though that is strange that all the windows have the same response, and especially if they all roll up fine after they stop on the way down.

Let me clarify this; The windows rarely ever move when I press a button (up or down). To get a window to move, I press the button until I encounter that special moment (where the electric motor is satisfied with the position of moon and stars, and other unknowns) and voila!, the electric motor operates. When this happens, the window will move the entire distance in one continous motion to either end of its travel limit (or until I let up on the button). It is this "travel limit" that is compounding the confusion.

This "travel limit" is my second problem. None of the windows (even during the rarest of moments when they give the appearance that they are working correctly, by moving smoothly in one long continuos stroke) ever disappear completely into the door panel. They authoritatively and consistently stop with 7" of glass above the trim panel. So I am asking you all, if this is as far as the windows are supposed to open, and if not, is there an adjustment somewhere?

Don't make me post a video; 'cause I will do it and make everyone watch and give their opinon :)

I just need to know, do your rear doors' windows go all the way into the panel?

Do your Front windows go down and stop no further past showing 7" of glass above the door panel trim, or do they recede completely and disappear into the door like in a normal vehicle?

Rear windows only go part way down as you describe.

The front windows go all the way down.

I would look at the switch contacts on the switch pannel. Sounds like they are dirty to me.

Also remove the lining from both front doors and check there is nothing bent or binding that is preventing them to fully retract.

I'd say test and replace in this order:

Relays / Fuses

Door Panel Switches

Regulators

Motors

Door

:) Not the most comprehensive list but... it's all I can think of to be honest (I'm no wrencher though )

• 1 month later...

Is there an adjustment procedure to set the travel limits of the window? I need the window to lower all the way into the door. anyone? please? Beuller? anyone?

Edited by Derrik

I don't believe so. I think the motors simply cutoff after the "stop" point is reached.

Have you by chance installed aftermarket speakers in the front doors? It's possible that they're too deep, and not allowing the window to go past them.

I don't believe so. I think the motors simply cutoff after the "stop" point is reached.

Have you by chance installed aftermarket speakers in the front doors? It's possible that they're too deep, and not allowing the window to go past them.

I wonder if you can adjust the back ones so they go down all the way instead of stopping at the safety point.

I don't have kids and would like my back windows to go down all the way!

Nope....they physically won't fit in the doors. Look at the shape of your rear doors for the reason why.

No problem Derrik....hope it's that simple.