Very High Mileage '96 Pathy

Nay-Sayer

Hmm... a lower price.

What he said. I just picked up a 98 SE with 77k on it for very little more than that. I think my situation was more the exception than the rule, but still... I think you can probably find a truck with a lot fewer miles for that price.

There is a local dealer who's selling a 1996 Nissan Pathfinder with 281k on the odometer. With mileage that high, what should I look out for? Dealer is asking $2495. Thanks.

T-BELT!! :lol:

Rust, hoses and belts cracking, ALL fluids should be done when you take ownership of it, plugs, cap, rotor, etc. etc. I would basically give it a full servicing if I were going to take something from a dealership with mileage like that. I can't even believe a "dealership" is selling something with those miles...around here that would be 100% auction material.

All ready-wearable parts should be, at a minimum, inspected by yourself or a mechanic you trust (not the dealership, their "clean bill of health" doesn't amount to squat)

What he said. I just picked up a 98 SE with 77k on it for very little more than that. I think my situation was more the exception than the rule, but still... I think you can probably find a truck with a lot fewer miles for that price.

I would say thats a deal, I got my 97 XE for $6,500 In april of 07 with 125,000 on the ticker, but It was also a 1 owner, always garaged, never wrecked or damaged and has every service reciept from the selling dealer and even the window sticker from new.

As for what to look for on a really high milage pathy, Bushings shocks and struts, t-belt, auto trans, ect.... Unless it comes with a good service history I dont think I would be brave enough to attempt purchase. just my .02.

I assume there was a rebuilt on the engine and there is probably no paperwork on who did the job and what was done. Unless you can get the paperwork and it passes smog or you want a project car, I would stay away as well as mentioned above.

There is a local dealer who's selling a 1996 Nissan Pathfinder with 281k on the odometer. With mileage that high, what should I look out for? Dealer is asking $2495. Thanks.

I concur. Much lower price and make sure it is signed up for AARP and MEDI-CARE before buying.