Susp for my pathy

Guest strider

Guest strider

Hey everyone. Im a new poster in this forum but Ive been browsing for a little while. I own a 91 Pathfinder(stock) and am ready to do a suspension lift. Ive gone through and read all the related topics on this forum and called a few local places to get an idea of my options. My first choice was going to be the full three inch lift kit from Calmini, but I called them and the guy said he had no idea when it would be available(could possibly be weeks or even months). Im also thinking of getting the the AC three inch lift package w/ either the bilsteins or Rancho 5000s. I was wondering what your opinions are on the AC suspension. Should I just have patience and wait for calmini or will the AC work good? The AC is cheaper by a tid bit w/ rs5000s but with the bilsteins its actually a little more. I will be doing all the work myself, how are both lifts to install?? All info is much appreciated. If there is a topic like this that I missed in my search please feel free to flame me and also feel to free to link it. ;)

Guest strider

Thanks a bunch for the links....apparantly I just suck at searches. Im now down with the Calmini. I figure I can wait months for the parts from AC or I could do the same for calmini (which could just be weeks) and get a better lift. Una Pregunta....On the other topic the guy asked..."so all I have to is crank up the T bars and put on the UCAs?"....thats my question but I wanna know...what is reindexing? Is reindexing part of cranking the T bars or is that just o correct susp. sag or something?

Guest strider

PS...Im gonna search this forum for "reindexing" so if theres a topic that Im sure to find dont bother responding to that question.

Reindexing means that you physically remove one anchor from the end of the torsion bar and put it back on rotated two or three splines over so that you can crank the bars up more without maxing out the adjusters. Stock bars sag over time and it's possible to have the t-bars cranked up until the adjusters max out, but still have the front end look saggy from the faded bars. Reindexing lets you keep going.

Guest strider

Ok well Im extremely stoked. My friend w/ a JGC just got a susp lift and gave my dad all his stock susp stuff cause we have a jeep too. Which mean I got JGC coils for free!!! :D Umm I just wanna double check on the years of jeep coils that will work. So now Im thinking Ill order the calmini UCAs, get some AC torsion bars, and new shocks all the way around. Now I have a question about shocks. I would like to get some bilsteins, but I need to know the travel length and correct valving to order. The other optiuon is to stay cheap and get Rancho 5000s... what model numbers(of both bilstein and Rancho) will fit w/ the 3 in lift?

Stock length will work fine with a 3" suspension lift, but you might want to go one size longer on the rear shocks for better travel. Rancho 5118 is the stock # in the rear, I'd suggest using 5116's or their equivalent instead. They're about an inch or so longer. Rancho #5252 is the stock front shock #. I have no idea on the Bilsteins.

Guest strider

If I go with a longer shock in the rear like you said, will I have to put spring spacers in like you have done on your car? or is the rear chevy shocks even longer than the 5116. also, how do you like the shocks you have in the back?? work good?? Can you get them at a junk yard? if so how much did you pay for them. I thought about it today and I decided to go w/ ranchos or the cheaper option of my previous shock choice.

No.

Yes.

Just fine so far.

Yes.

I did, but it was a rare find.

$20 for the pair.

Care to ask any more questions? :P

Heee heee... After seing his find, I thought I'd check when I was out. Best I could find was a pair of partially rusting Mountain Ryder's, one of which was fairly severely dented. The rest where stock or blown to hell. I must say, man, where do you get your stuff?!? :secret:

i was gettin ready to ask the same, cant find chit around here, you'd think that for a city with 4 million there would be at least one wrecked Pathfinder. i walk in and ask they guy says no with out havin to look in the computer, must be darn near psycic.

i was gettin ready to ask the same, cant find chit around here, you'd think that for a city with 4 million there would be at least one wrecked Pathfinder. i walk in and ask they guy says no with out havin to look in the computer, must be darn near psycic.

Dude, you're in Texas. Not exacly import land. :secret: That's gotta suck, though. They're rare as hell here as it is. Make sure you just ask for Nissan trucks at teh bone yard. The local yocals at one lot said no to the Pathy, but yes to Hardbodies, for which many parts are interchangable.. What was sitting right next to the Hardbodies? 2 old Pathy's. Pretty tore up, but worth a shot.

Guest strider

haha...sorry about the enormous amounts of questions....well all I gotta do is order the stuff.....

Let us know how it all comes together.

I want to know how those Calmini UCAs fit and what the istallation is like. I am saving up to put there 3" lift on mine. It looks like there parts are HEAVY DUTY!!!

and worth the money!

Dude, you're in Texas. Not exacly import land. :secret: That's gotta suck, though. They're rare as hell here as it is. Make sure you just ask for Nissan trucks at teh bone yard. The local yocals at one lot said no to the Pathy, but yes to Hardbodies, for which many parts are interchangable.. What was sitting right next to the Hardbodies? 2 old Pathy's. Pretty tore up, but worth a shot.

funny thing is i see pathfinders all over the town and HBs as a basic work horse.

almost every yard ive been to i dont see many HBs either, they are more of them tho. there is a void of HBs and finders here.

Guest strider

probably cant find any pathfinders in junk yard cause they are freakin burly!! Mine has 227k miles and running strong!!

Guest strider

Una pregunta...do I HAVE to get new torsion bars? or can I just crank the ones I got? It would be nice to be able to save 190 bucks.

Una pregunta...do I HAVE to get new torsion bars? or can I just crank the ones I got? It would be nice to be able to save 190 bucks.

Nah, you don't HAVE to. It just makes things a bit firmer and such, or at least mine did. Check out the topics here for all your Tbar needs. ;)

Guest strider

Have any of you painted your rear springs? Does the paint just crack upon compression of the springs? I was told what powder coating was the only way to do it, what have been your expiriences?? I just want them to look nice untill I cover them w/ mud!!

• 3 weeks later...
Guest strider

YAY!!! lift is installed. RS5000 all around, calmini UCAs, and JGC coils. Unfortunatly I have a problem. When I went to get it alligned they said it was unalignable cause the centerlink was bad.... :blink: He told me that If I do it myself then Ill save tons of money and seeing as how I did the lift myself I had enough mechanical knowledge to perform the change... Now, does anyone know of any aftermarket centerlinks that are burliur than the stock ones and are simple to install?? I saw the ones on the L & P Perf. site but I don't get it, They require you to send your old one in?? whats the deal w/ that? Is there anything else out there? Also He suggested I put a steering stabalizer in too. Any one know of good cheap ones? Other than this little steering dilemma, My car works great!! The Calmini stuff is awsome!! Its easy to install, and is totally bolt up. the only thing I had to do was grind down one of the washers cause is doesnt come w/ new washers and the hole is smaller. The hardest part was getting the old centerpiece thingy out of the stock UCA. But anyways, someone please help w/ the steering situation.

I got my steering stabilzer (stock set-up) from a 4x4 Hardbody truck at the local junkyard for $15. You may want to try something like that. The dealer wanted more than that just for the mounting kit to hook up a new stabilizer, and then the stock replacement was $28 or so from Schucks. The Rancho kit is more, but surely is better.