Wheel Bearings

Boondocker

I'm planning on changing the wheel bearings on my 89 Pathy 4x4 and to get an idea of the layout, I read the process in a haynes manual. It talked about needing a special socket for the spindle/wheel nut to get to the bearings. Does anyone know what size or kind of socket this is? Is it normaly available in auto parts stores?

Thanks for the help!

Unless you are taking them apart regularly, skip the specialty socket. I usually use the punch method, or take a large pair of needle nose pliers. The hardest part is when you do the assembly, getting it to line up so you can screw the lock back on it.

Unless you are taking them apart regularly, skip the specialty socket. I usually use the punch method, or take a large pair of needle nose pliers. The hardest part is when you do the assembly, getting it to line up so you can screw the lock back on it.

IMHO thats bad advice...if you don't set the preload on the bearings correctly then you will be doing it more frequently b/c if its loose its going to waller out the races and if its too tight its going to burn up the bearings...doing it right almost always outweighs cutting corners...

it would really suck to overheat a bearing on the highway and have it seize up on you which could possibly induce a rollover...

it would really suck to overheat a bearing on the highway and have it seize up on you which could possibly induce a rollover...

The PO of my 95 found that out the hard way evidentally :thumbsdown::FartExplode-vi: . But no rollover