Looking for opinions on shocks

mickyficky

I need new shocks, mine are the original parts and feel horrible. I did a search and didn't find anything.

My truck is a pretty stock 95 with 31's - no lift.

I spend most of my time on the 405 freeway and when I do go off-road its pismo dunes, joshua tree trails, or general easy to moderate SoCal stuff. No huge rock crawling or anything like that. (not yet)

So, does anyone recommend either hydraulic or gas (nitrogen) over the other.

I like a comfortable ride, but want some performance off-road.

Oh yea, I'm looking at Rancho and Procomp......

THANKS

I need new shocks, mine are the original parts and feel horrible. I did a search and didn't find anything.

My truck is a pretty stock 95 with 31's - no lift.

I spend most of my time on the 405 freeway and when I do go off-road its pismo dunes, joshua tree trails, or general easy to moderate SoCal stuff. No huge rock crawling or anything like that. (not yet)

So, does anyone recommend either hydraulic or gas (nitrogen) over the other.

I like a comfortable ride, but want some performance off-road.

Oh yea, I'm looking at Rancho and Procomp......

THANKS

If you're going to keep it stock height and do mostly road driving, get Bilstein HD monotubes. They're best on road and apparently pretty good offroad.

And a set of four is $350 or so on eBay.

If you're going to keep it stock height and do mostly road driving, get Bilstein HD monotubes. They're best on road and apparently pretty good offroad.

And a set of four is $350 or so on eBay.

autozone has them for $59.99 each.

Edited by msavides

Are you sure those are the monotubes and not the twin-tube cheaper versions? Bilstein makes both...

From Item description

Note:

Heavy duty ride

Mono tube gas pressurized shock.

id go with rancho 9000's and you can adjust the way it rides. i think cheaper than bilstiens. i just use rancho 5000's cause they are cheap and work for a long time.

both the Procomp and the Rancho are made by monroe. why not save the $$ and just buy some regular monroe shocks.

I agree with the Bilstein being a better shock, but more $$.

I have run both pro comp and rancho and dont really see a difference. if i was going to replace mine on a stock hight Pathfinder, i would buy the Bilstein.

Thanks all,

I'll see if I can afford those Blistens,

Sounds like the gas is the way to go.....

or maybe it doesn't really matter until you get the lift

I have heard from a bunch of those ausies (kiwis, whatever) That the old Man emu shocks are the best out there. They are made by ARB

Mark

All I can tell you is the Pro Comp ES3000's are a bit harsh. I've had them on my truck for about four years now but I'm currently piecing together a Rancho RS9000 set and an in-cab adjustable controller. That way it'll ride better on the street and I'll still be able to stiffen them up off road.

why not save the $$ and just buy some regular monroe shocks.

Don't even think about it, the monroe shocks are horrible, i have them in the front of my truck and they're a year old at the most. The front end is pretty bouncy and nothing is loose or broken underneath. They're just a cheap fix for a few months, don't expect much life out of them.

I think there others around here that will agree with me

oh ya, all of my driving is on road, so the shocks don't see any full flex or botteming out.

These are monroe Sensa-tracs