Front Rear Differential

frankle1

Um, I'd rent a Uhaul (or whatever) truck with a car trailer, get the truck home then look at it/deal with it.

Are you SURE the hubs are bound in 4X4 or did the guy not jack up the front end, put the truck in 2W drive and spin the front tires backwards???

If the hubs disengage and the T case is in 2W drive, neither the driveline or the CV's spin, correct?

Perhaps the mechanic doesn't know this? Why else does he think the driveline must be disconnected? Something is not jiving here and I think it starts with the front, rear, left differental mechanic.

B

Got it back to NY....on my way home for the holidays.

The shop took off the front drive shaft, but didn't touch anything else, I drove it for about 100 miles and it ran fine.

Any websites or posting with instructions on pulling the front diff? How do I tell if I have a WD21? It is a 1995 XE, automatic.

Thanks for all the advice, so far the biggest expense has been the 1 week rental car - the shop charged $175 for pulling the front drive shaft.

The shop took off the front drive shaft, but didn't touch anything else, I drove it for about 100 miles and it ran fine.

Any websites or posting with instructions on pulling the front diff? How do I tell if I have a WD21? It is a 1995 XE, automatic.

Thanks for all the advice, so far the biggest expense has been the 1 week rental car - the shop charged $175 for pulling the front drive shaft.

woah, 175 to pull the driveshaft? thats at least 2+ hours of labor they are charging you for, and it would take you maybe 20 mins to pull it on your own...maybe if they pulled the cv's as well...please tell me they gave you the parts back.

and wd21 is the codename for the model range, which is the first pathy ever made-1995, i have a r50, which is a 1996 pathy - 2003 (i believe)...my old mercedes was w163, my accord cd5, ive noticed using the codenames isnt as popular for the pathys as it has been for my other vehicles.

id do what others have said, check for your pathy in a junkyard and pull a diff off of one of those (check the gear ratios first), let us know how it all works out

Aren't Ya glad Ya didn't junk it? :wiggle:

Just looked in my Haynes manual. They make it sound pretty easy to change, just need 2 hydraulic jacks and hand tools/torque wrench.

The front diff should NOT spin in 2WD as long as the auto hubs unlock OK and aren't screwed up. Just an FYI. When I put mine in 2WD and jack it up you can spin the driveshaft by hand freely, which means it's totally disco'ed from the rest of the drivetrain. There was actually no real need to remove the driveshaft unless the hubs were physically broken or locked up...

Glad to hear it's back in your hands.

My Factory manual is pretty vague, which is really unusual. It just says to remove front shaft, loosen differential crossmember, loosen engine mounts and raise engine- it's in the way but shouldn't have to move much. It does get specific with torque specs and tightening order; you should probably get a manual. 5 bolts each on the CV's, 2 mounting the crossmember (1 for the bushing), 4 each on the motor mounts, a breather tube- I think like that's about it, maybe I'm forgetting something but it should be easy to tell what needs to come off.

$175 for taking out 8 very easy to get to bolts sucks, took em like 5 minutes. I guess they were charging you for their time and keeping it at the shop.

Check the hubs first, sounds like they're ok if you drove in 2WD though. Jack up the front, spin a front tire (in 2wd), if the front driveshaft mating flange on the back of the dif turns, you need new hubs cuz they're stuck. Both tires will probably turn since the dif is seized.

Edited by Earth1

Well, I have decided to sell it - I don't have the energy or time to do the fix. If you are interested the truck is located in New Paltz, NY (zip 12561). Details:

1995 Nissan Pathfinder XE, 82K miles. Automatic transmission, NO RUST, power windows/locks, cruise control, remote start. I am the second owner of this car.

VIN#JN8HD17Y5SW100222