Weak spark,no start

nissan4x4

are you checking for 12v at the coil while it's being cranked? A bad connection could give you 12V with no load but be open or weak when loaded. Shouldn't drop below 9V or so during cranking. When you see the weak orange spark, are you throwing a plug on the coil wire and taking the distributer and plug wires out of the loop? It is possible that you could have replaced something bad with another bad one.

yes i have tried taking the coil wire and putting a spark plug on it and got a good spark of off of the coil.and ill check what the volt is under cranking.

then maybe it's something in the dizzy.. there is a sensor built into it and it sometimes does go dead.. check the erorr codes as the ECU should definitely flash coded related to that sensor.

this morning i went to the truck to get the error codes and the truck almost started very weak though.and could the timing be off so much it could cause this,because when i put the replacement dizzy in i got as close as i could get to the original timing on the old distributor.

Dude, as close as you can is NOT where it needs to be. You have to have that thing put in the EXACT same way the old one came out or your spark timing will be so far off you won't be able to start it.

Best bet: find TDC for #1 cylinder at compression stroke, then check to see where the rotor is pointing on the distributor. It needs to point like this on the V6:

FSM-EM-37.jpg

whats TDC im a newb to all of this.

TDC is Top Dead Center which means that cylinder #1 is at the top of the stroke and crank and cams are lined up. It is the base line for all that is related to tearing down an engine and putting it back together, to include a timing belt replacement.

Hope this helps

i'll tell you a secret..... i got error code 21 today, had 2 bad injectors, and my dizzy was 1 tooth out........ 1 injector fixed, and the timing. MUCHO better, be 100% once i get the other injector changed out.

would adjusting the bolt on the dizzy on the base put the timing at least closer so it can at least start.

get a timing light on it. but yeah, you can loosen the bolt to turn it some to try n make it start, but if you KNOW the dizzy is off, then readjust it and put it right, chances are, it WILL start... then you can time it :crossedwires:

Edited by Slick