Mexican police chief shot 50 times in his bed next to wife

FUELER

WOW.

This happened 45 mins from my house.

http://www.smh.com.au/news/world/mexican-p...6812824756.html

TIJUANA: Gunmen have killed the police chief of a Mexican city bordering California, shooting him 50 times in an apparent revenge attack after police found a drug-smuggling tunnel under the border.

Gunmen broke into the house of the Tecate police chief, Juan Soriano, early on Tuesday morning and shot him repeatedly in the face and torso as he slept beside his wife, an official at the Baja California state attorney-general's office said. His wife was not hit.

The killing of Mr Soriano, who had started his job only last week, appeared to be an act of revenge against Mexican police, who on Monday discovered a tunnel nearly 1.6 kilometres long running into California from Tecate near the Pacific coast after a tip from the US Border Patrol.

"As soon as Soriano made public the discovery of the tunnel, he went home and, hours later, they executed him in his bedroom," the official, who requested anonymity, said.

Police also found two tonnes of marijuana in a vehicle near the tunnel, which ran from an abandoned warehouse close to the Tecate crossing point into a rural area of southern California and was one of the longest discovered along the US-Mexico border.

The Mexican Government says its deployment this year of 25,000 troops and federal police across Mexico is halting drug violence between warring cartels fighting for dominance of smuggling routes to the United States. But drug violence has killed 2350 people so far this year and hundreds of police have died in gangland-style murders.

The President, Felipe Calderon, who launched the army crackdown within days of taking office in December, said on Tuesday that he did not expect to win the war on cartels during his six-year term.

WOW.

This happened 45 mins from my house.

http://www.smh.com.au/news/world/mexican-p...6812824756.html

TIJUANA: Gunmen have killed the police chief of a Mexican city bordering California, shooting him 50 times in an apparent revenge attack after police found a drug-smuggling tunnel under the border.

Gunmen broke into the house of the Tecate police chief, Juan Soriano, early on Tuesday morning and shot him repeatedly in the face and torso as he slept beside his wife, an official at the Baja California state attorney-general's office said. His wife was not hit.

The killing of Mr Soriano, who had started his job only last week, appeared to be an act of revenge against Mexican police, who on Monday discovered a tunnel nearly 1.6 kilometres long running into California from Tecate near the Pacific coast after a tip from the US Border Patrol.

"As soon as Soriano made public the discovery of the tunnel, he went home and, hours later, they executed him in his bedroom," the official, who requested anonymity, said.

Police also found two tonnes of marijuana in a vehicle near the tunnel, which ran from an abandoned warehouse close to the Tecate crossing point into a rural area of southern California and was one of the longest discovered along the US-Mexico border.

The Mexican Government says its deployment this year of 25,000 troops and federal police across Mexico is halting drug violence between warring cartels fighting for dominance of smuggling routes to the United States. But drug violence has killed 2350 people so far this year and hundreds of police have died in gangland-style murders.

The President, Felipe Calderon, who launched the army crackdown within days of taking office in December, said on Tuesday that he did not expect to win the war on cartels during his six-year term.

They should NEVER report the discovery of a tunnel. Just another case of the media frucking up things. Oh... let's tell the bad-guys that we found their tunnel. sheesh!!! Personally, I would have hearded a sh!tload of wild boars or pitbulls into the tunnel and blocked the exit. Hey badguys... SURPRISE!!!!

That would be nice.

Normally, I am quick to hate on Police - but what happened in Tecate is just uncalled for. To kill a man in cold blood, next to his WIFE??? Over DRUGS??? Whoever did that deserves a seriously long and painful death. And then eternal damnation.

Greg, How does this situation help you "hate mexico"??

I still love Mexico and i'm still going to Tecate next month for a beer tasting session at the brewery.

I just won't make any drug tunnels public and I should be OK

LOL GG, what do you not hate??

My guess is that he wouldn't sell out/be bribed or whatever. He cost them money and operations, so they took it out of his hide. I do not approve of this, but at least they didn't kill his wife also!! Perhaps she was in on it? He must have had security or something. If not, he was an idiot considering the people he was against. The bad guys ignore the rules...

B

LOL, fair enough GG. We all have our own experiences...

I wish they would have shot a US border patrol officer. there would be war.

Um, yeah... Kinda like a war on drugs?? Oops, we already have one... Estimated 500 BILLION spent on it since its inception in the Regan years with out ANY measure of success. Cocaine is still about the same price it was in the '80's and the usage is up, way up. No shortage of weed what so ever. There are three head shops in my county alone (Sonoma). I heard heroine is as commonly used as ever. Ice and crack is still killing people and being killed over. Meth labs in the midwest and northwest are so common, meth is being viewed as an epidemic. Yeah, that war has worked well...

As for a real war? Bang, bang, shoot the enemy? Not so easy when they are the illusive criminal element, private citizens, none the less This is being proven elsewhere...

Invade Mexico whole sale? Over the death of a border guard? Did you think this one through, Bud?

B

Yes, true. But given the current circumstances, goals and conditions, I'd rate it as a snow ball chance in hell type odds. Where do I place my bet??

B

Oh, me too, but there are always wild possibilities.

That is a joke right?

You obviously don't live in America, let alone where I live (15 mins from border)

Border Patrol is no joke - they dont play around, not too long ago a Mexican got shot up and killed by them just for looking at them wrong. There wouldn't be a "war" with mexico, literally, but there would be HIGH tensions at the border and I guarantee there would be revenge worse than the mafia

Edited by FUELER