Windshield leaking...

texasbudman

Okay I know that I can't be the first to have this problem... but I just did a search and didn't find anything of much help...

So I'm proably asking the King Bone Head Question of the Year!!!!! but in my defence I've been riding motorcycles almost exclusively for like 13 years (the last 10 months being the exception)... This Pathy is the first thing with 4 wheels I have ever bought...

Anyhow, my windshield has a bit of a leak... I was told NOT to put silicon... the paint is pretty good so I don't to screw that up... I don't think that the windshield is for a Pathy... and I just relocated, in the US Virgin Islands, so the parts store are a bit skimpy on most stuff... my budget is a lil low and won't improve for a few weeks... and I'm tired of my ass being wet everytime it rains... :rant2:

suggestions, comments, or complaints...

Thanks,

King Bone Head

Well, short of a new windsheild, there isn't much you can do. I had a leak in my old truck, siliconed it on the inside, and thought all was well. I just moved where it came down....the water then went down under the plastic trim for the A pillar, and ended up behind the plastic kick panel in the driver's footwell. I had some very unhappy wiring there.

You could try to go to a glass place and have them remove your windshield to re-seal it. Some may be able to do it, some may say it's impossible. I have seen windshields taken out in tact though.

Well, short of a new windsheild, there isn't much you can do. I had a leak in my old truck, siliconed it on the inside, and thought all was well. I just moved where it came down....the water then went down under the plastic trim for the A pillar, and ended up behind the plastic kick panel in the driver's footwell. I had some very unhappy wiring there.

You could try to go to a glass place and have them remove your windshield to re-seal it. Some may be able to do it, some may say it's impossible. I have seen windshields taken out in tact though.

Well I am tring to avoid the new windshield, at least right now... and was pretty sure a glass place wouldn't want to do it, since I'm almost positive, its not the right one for the truck... but if I don't get any decent ideas I may have to go and try to find someone who would consider it, not a lot of options though...

Thanks for the silicon story... I'd rather have a wet ass than do re-wiring/etc... due to homemade Gremlins...

Yeah....it's no fun.

The other option, which I thought of after my initial post, was that there's a free-flowing sealant you can get at some auto parts stores. Try taking the trim off the outside of the windshield and using it there. If I remember correctly, the applicator is similar to a syringe. The issue there is, you don't know exactly where it's leaking, so you'll have to go almost all the way around the windshield.

Remember, just because it's coming in the truck in one spot, doesn't mean that's where the leak is.

Remember, just because it's coming in the truck in one spot, doesn't mean that's where the leak is.

Yeah, I figured that when I relized the amount of rain depends on where the drips fall... I may be getting wet but at least I won't have cold wet nuts... to warm here...

I have always heard that silicone will enhance the rust(make it rust more and faster)which is why you dont want to use silicone. However, they do offer a type of window sealant in a tube (silicone?). Im not sure what this actually is or if this is any better than just simply using silicone, or if the statement about silicone is even true. Maybe try like Simon said but ask a glass co. if they offer a sealant? Hope I helped,Good Luck!

window sealant in a tube (silicone?)

I have used some flowable silicone to fix problems like that on other cars (not mine) and it stopped the leaks...my gf's old intergra was wrecked and it leaked water everywhere...where is the water piling up...the drains for the cowls can get clogged and could possibly have rust around the base of the (water keeper outter) and it could just drain into the heater and seep out there...

I'll come with more later...gotta go eat...

http://www.acehardware.com/sm-permatex-and...pi-1419004.html

is what I used but got it from advanced...and they aint lyin its got a pretty low viscosity and will flow everywhere...

Edited by unccpathfinder

you need to pull all inside trim off and back fill with whindshield urathane .....not silicone ...silicone will not bond to the paint,rust,etc where urathane has a 600psi holdout ...you can buy it at most automotive part stores and i use a body filler spreader to push it in to the gap between the whindshield and the pinch weld ..

I have used some flowable silicone to fix problems like that on other cars (not mine) and it stopped the leaks...

I did something similar with mine, I used thin superglue and let it flow in and set up. Worked for about 2 years but I've got a leak again.

http://www.acehardware.com/sm-permatex-and...pi-1419004.html

is what I used but got it from advanced...and they aint lyin its got a pretty low viscosity and will flow everywhere...

John,

You use and old guy from Ace Harware with a red vest and a clip board?!?!??!?!? Dose he wash and wax the truck too??

I've heard of prices for "mail-a-bride's" and hookers... but what dose an old guy run??? Haaahhhaaa

Somebody else PLEEEEEAAAAASSSEE, Click the link... hahahhaa

Brother you are too funny!!!!!!! I'm gonna be chuckling all day with that one, that pretty much made my day... :laugh:

I'll ck into the urithan and the old guy...

Thanks, all useful information (and goofy stuff too John) is much appreciated...

is the image you should have seen with the pricing info...but hey at least ya got a good laugh...

Damn It!!!!!!!! It's working fine now!!!!!!! Did you fix it?!?!?!

It works fine now... I guess it was an Island thing... but I did get a good laugh... and I tried to fine the old guy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!