Winter Front

CDNBullrid

I live in Manitoba, Canada. temp gets down to -40c the odd time, usually -30c all winter (-22.0F) would it be a bonus to get or make some sort of a winterfront for my 01? i dont know if it would restrict necessary air flow or if there is even any necessary air flow going through the front.

thanks much

In extreme cold (-40c with north wind) antifreeze can sometimes... well freeze! I have had my coolant (tested to -50c) gel so much that the engine actually overheated due to lack of coolant circulation through the rad. A winter front is definitely a good idea or at least a piece of cardboard to stick in front of rad in an emergency. Your toes might be a little warmer too.

In extreme cold (-40c with north wind) antifreeze can sometimes... well freeze! I have had my coolant (tested to -50c) gel so much that the engine actually overheated due to lack of coolant circulation through the rad. A winter front is definitely a good idea or at least a piece of cardboard to stick in front of rad in an emergency. Your toes might be a little warmer too.

that's all i ever do from about 10F and down. long hauls i'll either take it out completely or cut a hole in the middle of the cardboard although i use like beer boxes or whatever happen to be there when i need it so, there is always some air going through. the cardboard fits nicely between the radiators. :)

Who sells winter fronts for R50s? Funny this topic was started, as I was thinking about making one on my drive from Calgary to Grande Prairie Yesterday.

I ordered mine from the local NAPA dealer (Fia brand). It comes with a summer bug front as well.

Try on-line too.

Edited by Trainman

I live in Manitoba, Canada. temp gets down to -40c the odd time, usually -30c all winter (-22.0F) would it be a bonus to get or make some sort of a winterfront for my 01? i dont know if it would restrict necessary air flow or if there is even any necessary air flow going through the front.

thanks much

Wait, another Manitoban. When the F--K did you join dude? I thought it was only me and Runnerman(who never posts). Are you in the 'peg or one of our turkey-neck gulches?

im from steinbach but right now taking school in brandon. i joined a while back but havent been around the forum for a while.

Nice. I have an uncle and aunt in Steinbach and my sister just moved to Brandon in the summer.

I live in the great northwest and even though it dosent get below zero but every few years, we do see teens and 20's. I have a piece of cardboard beetween the rad and condencer that covers about half the rad. it works well for warning up on thoe cold days. just thought Id chime in.

I called several places yesterday. One guy said he sold the plastic, or chrome cutout that go in the grill, while NAPA carried the quilted style. I went with the quilted one, which ended up costing $65, since they charge for frieght here. I might modify my air intake to pick up from behind the rad, if anyone thinks it would increase economy, having less air mass/volume.

• 1 month later...

I have pretty much run out of ideas and given up on this FIA winter front. It looks nice, but seriously adhesive mounting? So lets say the adhesive actually worked, and I could snap the winter front onto the grill... What about when I don't need the winter front? Am I expected to be OK with having 8 white plastic snaps glued to the front of my chrome grill? Oh, that must be what the bug screen is for.... To hide the most ridiculous method of attaching this thing...

Trainman, how did you do it? The snaps adhesive doesn't stick, and I seriously don't expect it to or want it to. I was going to buy some snaps and attach them to an elastic strap, which would be sewn to the back of the winter front... too much work, and the snaps would rub through the chrome finish on the grill... Even if I just poked holes through it and ran some zip-straps or string through it it tie it on, the snaps on the winterfront would rub against the plastic.... what the hell kind of product is this? Did the adhesive actually work for you? Maybe mine is a newer or old revision than yours, it looks a bit different in your pic.

I have pretty much run out of ideas and given up on this FIA winter front. It looks nice, but seriously adhesive mounting? So lets say the adhesive actually worked, and I could snap the winter front onto the grill... What about when I don't need the winter front? Am I expected to be OK with having 8 white plastic snaps glued to the front of my chrome grill? Oh, that must be what the bug screen is for.... To hide the most ridiculous method of attaching this thing...

Trainman, how did you do it? The snaps adhesive doesn't stick, and I seriously don't expect it to or want it to. I was going to buy some snaps and attach them to an elastic strap, which would be sewn to the back of the winter front... too much work, and the snaps would rub through the chrome finish on the grill... Even if I just poked holes through it and ran some zip-straps or string through it it tie it on, the snaps on the winterfront would rub against the plastic.... what the hell kind of product is this? Did the adhesive actually work for you? Maybe mine is a newer or old revision than yours, it looks a bit different in your pic.

All of mine have staid on, no problems so far but yes they do look pretty bad when there is no front or bug screen on.

I had the FIA winter front on another vehicle and ended up running small, self tapping screws through the center of the snaps into the grill, that worked IF you wanted the snaps to be permanent on the grill. Its no biggie for me as I run the bug screen in the summer anyway.

Unless you can find one of those metal type that fits inside the grill, I am not sure what else you can do. This is the only one that I know of that is designed for the Pathy.

One of the parts shops in town said he was able to get some chrome or plastic (my choice) inserts for my year Pathfinder, but he may be mistaken since the other four major parts/accessories dealers had or could get nothing. If he's got them, I'll try to get some form of credit from NAPA, or sell this online to somebody. Thanks for the reply Trainman, but I doubt I'll want the bug screen on, ever. Unless you find it looks good, or works good.

One of the parts shops in town said he was able to get some chrome or plastic (my choice) inserts for my year Pathfinder, but he may be mistaken since the other four major parts/accessories dealers had or could get nothing. If he's got them, I'll try to get some form of credit from NAPA, or sell this online to somebody. Thanks for the reply Trainman, but I doubt I'll want the bug screen on, ever. Unless you find it looks good, or works good.

I had the rad plug up one spring/early summer from driving through some long grass. The shop suggested a bug front to help keep the rad clean. It gets mighty hot around here and the last thing I need is to have the rad plugged up with seeds or bugs. So I use it.

If you do find the inserts, post up some pictures and name please.