engine light on?

cretan

I just bought a 94 pathfinder.The day after I bought it the engine light came on and stays on.How can I check the codes?On my toyota I connect a wire to a connector under the hood and watch the light flash on the dash for the codes.Are the nissans the same?

You guys are hilarious. Sheesh. Betting on error codes...lol

33 is the O2 sensor, 34 is the knock sensor. Sometimes the knock sensor code will come up erroneously along with other codes, so I'd pay more attention to the O2 sensor than the knock sensor.

How's your fuel mileage? When the O2 sensor goes it tends to cause poor mileage and perhaps some black smoke or a rich smell to the exhaust.

Stock mileage should be 15 city, 18 highway. Naturally, a used vehicle will probably not get that much if poorly maintained but it should be relatively close to that if nothing else is wrong with it.

faulty O2 will cause it to run kinda crappy which could be picked up by the knock sensor. It seems fairly common that they run in pairs. Always solve the first code first, then reset the ECU and see what pops up next (if anything)

Thanks for the replies!Sometimes it would run fine then other times it would bog and stumble.Changed the o2 sensor=Engine light is now off and engine runs awesome.Glad the knock sensor is fine cause I priced it out and it was between $350 and $450 bucks at the parts store.