Brake Pads

navygz19

I'm in the market for new pads and rotors for my '02. I've got the rotors chosen but really have no idea about what types of pads to be looking into. I'm going to go for ceramic obviously, but as far as brands...I really don't know much about any. What has everybody used? What should I be on the lookout for? Thanks.

I think the wagner thermoquiets are a popular choice.

Do you have any personal experience with them?

Raybestos...any good? Looking at about $30 a set, full ceramic.

Edited by navygz19

I think the wagner thermoquiets are a popular choice.

Thats what I use. They also come OEM on Mercedes Benz (like that means anything, lol) but they are very quiet, and brake like no other.

When I let people drive my car, initially they will jerk the M/T tires to a stop, and go "WOW your car brakes way better than mine, sorry" but then u get used to it.

Happens every time. Even happened at the oil change place when they were pulling out the other day. If I had a nickel for each time this has happened, i'd probably have over a dollar :)

Edited by FUELER

I have recently replaced my pads with factory pads from the dealer. They work well and there is no bad aspects to them. but if you want a more aggressive pad I have had good luck with Hawk SUV pads in the past on my old 99 Tahoe. they were great, good fade resistance and excelent bite. they were a little noisy when cold though, but only the first 2-3 stops. I would highly recomend them.

Has anyone here tried akebono pads? If so, any complaints?

I haven't tried them personally but I've read here and on AC site that akebono + brembo rotors work really well. I'm trying to wear out my raybestos quietstops before I try something new.

hmm our 00 is going to need new pads soon too. Has anyone ever had to change the rear drums? The mech at the dealer told me that they should last the life of the truck if you don't drive with the parking brake on. (5speed)

Do you have any personal experience with them?

Raybestos...any good? Looking at about $30 a set, full ceramic.

I've got a set of Raybestos ceramic pads #PGD691C on the front end of my 97 and love them

Absolute slightest squeal first stop or two in the morning, like most ceramics, but other then that their great