Spark Plug Wire Problem

ElJimmyStrappo

So I got my spark plugs replaced by a couple students at the college I attend. They told me I would need to replace the spark plug wires. When I got the car back the other day, the idle was really shaky. When you put it in drive and release the brake a little the idle shakes. I replaced the spark plug wires but it still does it.

My dad suggested that it could be a damaged or broken plug or one of the wires is switched. Does anyone have a diagram of how the wires are supposed to go? I looked through the service manual and can't find anything on it. I suppose it is possible that they accidentally swapped one of the wires and when I replaced them today I did the same thing.

Also, any idea how much a mechanic would charge to replace my belts?

Thanks so much!

Jimmy

BTW: It's an '88 V6.

It certainly sounds like there is a wire crossed. One wire in the wrong place gives you two pots out of sequence. The firing order should be on the inlet manifold.

Your dizzy spins anti clockwise and number 1 should be pointing toward your number 1 spark plug. The dizzy reads 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 and 6 (This is the firing order for the vg30).

The left bank of your engine (as you look at it from the front) is 1, 3 and 5. (1 being closest to you).

The right bank is 2, 4 and 6. (6 being at the right hand rear).

An eg. of how to check your wiring.... 1 goes to number 1 spark plug (front left), so the lead should be short, 2 will go to number 2 spark plug on the right hand front, 3 will go to the spark plug in the center on the left etc etc....

I tried to find an image but I was not successful. PM me if you need more info.

Edited by Vsicks Pathy

it could also be badly gapped plugs but check the wires first as that way easier then having to remove all the plugs. also a MAF or another sensor's connection got bumped and may not connect. if you get the CEL then check codes - instructions are in the garage's how to's

it could also be badly gapped plugs but check the wires first as that way easier then having to remove all the plugs. also a MAF or another sensor's connection got bumped and may not connect. if you get the CEL then check codes - instructions are in the garage's how to's

I second that motion...

ck on the wires...then plugs gap... and the code box is pretty cool... I didn't even relize the thing was there till they told me here...

Good Luck

Edited by texasbudman

Maybe they couldn't get the wire onto the number six plug :P

Oh God the infamous 6th one...

I had only had the truck like a few days and it took me somewhere over 45min's to change that one... I had to get under the truck and reach up to find the where the plug went... Then use the 180 ft of little extentions... Now that was truely a learning experiance...

It was just a wee bit different than changing the plugs on bikes!!!!!!