engine trouble

nissan4x4

we first thought it was a distributor, but today i replaced the distributor with one from ebay and still nothing just turns over no fire is there some kind of fuse to replace or what im lost

have you checked your plugs, wires, dist cap, fuel delivery system, starter...............................

Dont know what tools you have so ill give you the quick and dirty way to narrow it down.

pull the easiest plug and hold slightly away from a ground while someone turns it over (might want to use an insulated tool, but it wont kill you) got spark?

pull fuel line off of the filter and turn on the key (dont have to try to start it). if you dont see a puddle of fuel then the pump is bad.

if its turning over at a descent speed that it probobly isint the starter. give it a go and see where it takes you... not a whole lot to go on but its a start.

basic internal combustion engine operation:

Needs air

Needs fuel

Needs fire

Needs them all at the right time

start easy...

check air filter, if completely clogged, replace. Temporarily remove and see if it tries to start

Pull a plug (number 1 would be a good choice). Look at the electrode. Is it wet with gas? If not, you have a fuel problem. The only time it should be dry is if the engine is running or has recently run and is still warm. Cranking it over without starting should get fuel in the cylinders.

While the plug is out, lay the base against a good ground point and crank it over. Should see a nice bright spark to the electrode. If it dim/orange/weak, the problem may be the plug or the coil.

If you have air, fuel and fire, now check your timing. Pop the dist cap and look at the position of the rotor in relation to the location of plug wire 1. Carefully insert a long screwdriver or chopstick into the plug 1 hole. Crank the engine by hand until the indicator (stick or screwdriver) is at the topmost travel. Your rotor should be at or just past either the number 1 spot or off 180 degrees.

Nope...but are you getting spark from the coil? Check that first. If the coil isn't firing, you won't get spark to/from the distributor.

There's a little grey box behind the ignition coil that I believe is the coil "amplifier" Make sure the connections to it are snug/clean as well.

hang on lemmie get a pic of the resistor/coil and its on your driver side fender well...I'll have to search to see if I have any pix...

Ok so waht I think you described is the coil wire...Find the wire marked C of the dist cap...follow it over to the driver side fedner well...and waht it connects to is the coil...and what the coil connects to is the resistor...see attached pix...

DSCN2973.jpg

DSCN2972.jpg

DSCN2971.jpg

Edited by unccpathfinder

check the resistance of your coil wire. Too high and that will inhibit good spark. It's quite possible that the metal clippy thing inside the boot has broken away from the wire core and you do not have good contact. I think you have pretty much narrowed it down to the spark. When you got your weak spark, was it on a plug connected to a plug wire? You can pop a plug directly on the coil wire (take the distributer completely out of the diagnostic loop) and check again. If that is weak, you might consider swapping your coil wire with the plug wire that you already pulled and see if you get good spark through that wire (coil - through sparkplug wire - to plug grounded on block. if you don't use a plug to check, you can put a screwdriver in and hold the edge near a ground point. Spark should easily jump a quarter inch or so. careful though... they can bite.