Tach is jumpy!

BobLoblaw

My tachometer is inconsistent. Occasionally it works properly, but eventually, every drive, it starts not functioning properly. It becomes kinda jumpy and then it ends up just staying at about 1000rpm (bouncing around a little). Is this something that I can repair?

My tachometer is inconsistent. Occasionally it works properly, but eventually, every drive, it starts not functioning properly. It becomes kinda jumpy and then it ends up just staying at about 1000rpm (bouncing around a little). Is this something that I can repair?

EDIT sorry it's for the fuels guage cluste. not the Tach. Maybe your singal wire is frayed?

Edited by Gotrek

EDIT sorry it's for the fuels guage cluste. not the Tach. Maybe your singal wire is frayed?

Can I get at the signal wire without removing the entire dash? How do I check error codes? I've never done that before.

Yes....you can pull the cluster separate from the dash. It's not difficult. Pull the dash coloured trim piece from below the guages, then the black surround....then you'll see the screws to get the cluster out.

Search in the How To section of the garage...there's a good writeup on how to check your codes.

Well, how did you make out?

The 95 that I just brought home is doing the exact same thing.

I was wondering if it was a bad/dirty connection under the hood.

Can anyone tell us where it connects to the engine/distributor?

Sorry to hi-jack your thread.

Chris

^ What he said. BTW, I haven't tried to fix it yet. I don;t know anything about ECU error codes.

Could it be a dirty terminal under the hood? Where does it connect?

Edited by BobLoblaw

• 3 years later...

My tach in my current '94 is bouncing also. There are times when I step on the gas, it jumps into the red zone. I know the rpm's aren't rev'd that high. Needle is just jumping. I'm thinking a dirty connection or loose ground behind the cluster. Behind dashes are dust collecters.

this is a common and known problem in the round dash (94/95) pathfinders. You can try tightening the screws on the back that hold the circuit board to the cluster. If that doesn't work, you'll just either have to get an aftermarket tach, or hope to find one in the junkyard, hope it works, and also hope it has similar miles!

• 2 weeks later...

I had the same problem with my 95 when I bought it. I have put 2 or 3 JY tachs in it and one bought from a member here. Each one seems to work fine for a few weeks or a month or so, but they all eventually start being jumpy. I guess I should stop swapping tachs and find something else that is causing it... :headwall: