99 Pathy with Factory Remanufactured Tranny Has A Shift Pause!?!

OE812

My 99 Pathfinder had the automatic transmission replaced about a month ago because of failure. I had it replaced with a Nissan Factory Transmission. It has a 1 year or 12k mile warranty and I am concerned that it is having problems. The issue is when I put in reverse to back up, then place in drive, there is a 2 second pause before it engages so I can accelerate. If I attempt to accelerate prior to engagement, there is a jolt and clank noise. When I first drove it after the tranny replacement, it did not have the shift pause.

Prior to getting the tranny replaced, this was the first sign of failure. It lasted around a year before the planetary gear gave up the goose. Could this be a transmission problem or is it the Trans. Control Unit? What could be the problem?

Thanks,

jeff

My 1999.5 QX4 (with same VG33 engine) also takes a pause when switching from reverse to drive, or vice versa.

Mine has always done that... but I know what you mean, if you don't wait, it will jolt you once the tranmission engages, and does not feel like it's good for the tranny...

I've gotten used to it. If i'm doing a maneuver somewhere in a busy street that requires switching from drive the reverse (tight u-turn for example) then the people i'm blocking just have to wait the extra 2 seconds...

They probably think i'm a careless driver but really i'm just trying not to kill my auto transmission.

Edited by FUELER

Well I was testing this today.... it's actually between 1 and 2 seconds on mine... but regardless, it's still a lot longer than some other cars....

My girlfriend is the type that will hit the gas instantly, then 2 seconds later when it catches, the car will jerk very hard and my blood starts boiling.... I explain what she needs to do but she doesn't care and forgets.... yet she doesn't understand why her HONDA ACCORD keeps breaking down!

Well I was testing this today.... it's actually between 1 and 2 seconds on mine... but regardless, it's still a lot longer than some other cars....

My girlfriend is the type that will hit the gas instantly, then 2 seconds later when it catches, the car will jerk very hard and my blood starts boiling.... I explain what she needs to do but she doesn't care and forgets.... yet she doesn't understand why her HONDA ACCORD keeps breaking down!

the problem is not because she hits the gas too early, it's because you let your gf drive it in the first place

the problem is not because she hits the gas too early, it's because you let your gf drive it in the first place

It's hard to say no when I don't have a drivers license and she does B)

Yeah, ditto on my transmission. If you read the owner's manual (WTF? Who does that?!) it actually tells you that you have to wait a couple of secs before shifting in or out of reverse.

I have no idea why they engineered it that way, but oh well. I barely understand the inner workings of transmissions, I'm not about to comment on how to design one better.