HELP! 87 Pathy Gone Batty!

jmcardamone

Gentlemen,

I need your Expertise. Here's whats Going on....

Got an 87 Pathy SE, automatic. V6

Truck has been Running Great untill Today I went to go and start it and shes

not running correctly. I parked it on a hill backwards about 2 weeks ago and went to go start it today. It was Rough to start. Once i got it started she Barely Idled, Almost as if it was missing a few Cyl's. upon Depressing the Throttle she Picked up but was wofting some heck of a cloud from the Exhaust. it was Black in Color, which in my Experiance means Air/Fuel Issues. If i tried to bring the RPM over 3,500, it acted as if the rev Limiter kicked in. She Bounced from 4 to 3,500 and would not go any higher, at any Depression Level on the accelerator. I took of the air Cleaner, didnt Find any Critters in there (which happens quite a bit up here). She Sounds as if she's Sucking a LOT of Air. Im wondering if a Sensor or other Electonic Part, possibly a Crank Angle Sensor or TP Sensor, may have went. I would REALLY appreciate any advice. I will be Pulling the Codes from the CPU tommrow, but having a Little Forknowledge if someone had this Problem before would be Great. I do have a Complete Seccond Engine for parts if i needed. Thanks For any Help!

PS 88, Im Sure you have input on this one!! Nice Port polish!!

:furious: <- me

Burning coolant is all white, burning oil is blueish-white, and burning excess fuel(running rich) is black.

Your problem could be a leaking injector, bad MAF sensor/corroded wiring in the TBI, missing/broken/corroded ground wire on the distributor, fouled spark plugs from a tank of bad gas, bad o2 sensor...really couldn't say until the codes come out and you start tearing into it.

Im Pulling the Codes First Thing Tommrow Morning. Im Leaning Toward a Possible Bad Tank of gas, Bad Fuel Filter, or an Electronic part. Will get Back on here asap with that Info.... Thanks for the info Guys!

Just reaching here, but could it be a fuel issue as he stated? Maybe an issues of things in the fuel system drying out after 2 weeks of being parked on a hill? Clogged injection? Did you just refill with gas before parking (if so, anywhere out of ordinary)? Basically, what did you do just before parking, and was there anything unusual to the routine? I'm just trying to establish any baseline to go off of. I don't imagine a sensor or something is randomly gonna decide to go out on you. Pull your codes, then maybe run some fuel system cleaner and such and try to run it out. Guys, back me up here with any knowledge.

Ok Guys, Here we Go...

I got the Codes, 43, 11

43 was the Crank Angle sensor. I replaced Sensor and The Code 86'd itself.

Code 11 and the Problem still Exists. its Supposedly a Throttle Position Sensor. I replaced the Black Pastic Box on the Right of the TBI, No change. Where is this Sensor? I got the Parts if i just knew where it goes!! Any Help would be Great here guys.....

Oh PS.. my CPU has a Toggle swtich instead of a screwdriver Turned Dial. Is this Normal? I just want to see if my CPU has been Replaced.

ONE MORE THING... . there is a small Black Pastic Exrusion on the back of my CPU, i took it off and there is 3 wires and a Small Watch battery Looking Mabob. Any Ideas? I know the guy who gave the pathy to me a year ago was Kinda Nutty and i was wonder if maybee that was some aftermarket Performace Gizmo or something.

And to reply to the Previous Posts. Truck parked 2 weeks ago, with Half a tank of gas. It was sitting 2 months previous to being Moved and Parked there. It MIGHT still be a fuel Issue, but just 2 weeks before it Started and Ran Fine.

THANK YOU ALL!! I know i Like to help you guys out when i can, Its Nice to see that when i need the help its There! Thanks again! Beer's For all!

:beer:

How did you replace the CAS? They don't even do those at the dealership, they say it's not removeable from the distributor.

The TPS is the little black plastic box on the side of the TBI, yes. The one that has a recess in the middle of the backside for the throttle plate shaft and is adjustable by loosening the mounting screws and twisting the whole thing. NOT the MAF sensor with the protruding pair of temp probe wires and an o-ring, kinda like a lightbulb filament.

ECU's from 87-89 have a toggle switch instead of the screw. Just like it says in the ECU Error Code Procedures thread in the Garage.

I'd say run it, get rid of the gas that's in it. Run a tank or two through it to eliminate that possibility before throwing more parts/money at it.

I Replaced the Entire Distrib. i got en entire engine for parts here so i dont Mind Replacing them if Need be. Ok So i Replaced the MAF Sensor. I shall Make the Change to the TPS and see how she Does. It really cant Be Driven Right now in the Condition its In. But I Really feel its a TPS sensor issue. Thanks for all your Help..

ok. Got an Update here. Changed the TPI Sensor, Replaced the Fuel Filter and Checked the Timing. All A Ok. The motor Runs Great untill it hits 3000 RPMS. Then It surges From 2,500 to 3,000 RPM. My Father and I feel that it may be a Failing Fuel Pump, As it was Leaking as Described in a past Post (someone elses). Im going to Replaced The Entire Tank and Pump. I think my Pickups are Rotted. the Pump and the Regulator makes a Funky Buzzing Sound which makes me all the more suspicious. I did check the gas quality and there was no Problem. Any Further ideas? or do you all think im headed in the right Direction?

Parts are not a problem. I have Just about any Part i Need. (i had a seccond Pathy i picked up that was in a rollover, so i stripped all its parts off of it and put em on the shelf. It allows me to Troubleshoot by Replacement if need be). Im doing a conversion from auto to Manual tranny in the next week or two and i had intentions of replacing the fuel tank and pump. I am Going to preform a Pressure test and See what it reads up, but that probbaly wont be untill later this week. she's Runnoing OK at lower RPM, so if i have to move it, i can. Thanks for your assistance Guys. I will post Again, so keep on checkin!