Fog lights don't work

feloniousmonk

Just realized my fog lights aren't working. Haven't poked around the truck yet... been looking all over the FSM and there is no mention of a foglight fuse or even foglights for that matter. Is there one? Little indicator light on the rocker switch turns on, but nothing at the bumper.

either a bad relay or fuse...the fuse runs right off the battery box and its inline...if you popped it as soon as u put a new 1 in it'll pop...search on rewiring fog lights...its common...

I discovered on my 1990 SE pathfinder, that the stock fog lights are wired to the passenger side headlight also, thus causing them to turn-off when you use high beams (this is for legal reasons...) and back on when you switch the headlights back to normal mode....and when my fog lights would just not work at all, I discovered it was a loose connection at the headlight, and just adjusting the wiring a little with my fingers would make them work again....and rather than go into rewiring them, I just leave them as is and they've been fine for over 2 years now and I burn them all the time when driving at night as they light up the road better than the standard high beams do. I replaced the bulbs once with 50 watt bulbs....or maybe it was 100 watt...I cant remember.

I also installed HELLA fog lights on my brush guard for when I really want to light up the road ahead.....I wired them direct to the battery so when high beams are cut on, the HELLAS will stay on too....

Just realized my fog lights aren't working. Haven't poked around the truck yet... been looking all over the FSM and there is no mention of a foglight fuse or even foglights for that matter. Is there one? Little indicator light on the rocker switch turns on, but nothing at the bumper.

I just got my pathy today. I do have fogs also, but they don't work either.

I notice there is a switch close to my E-brake handle that turns on the fogs. WHen I click it on the little yellow light on the switch comes on, but the fogs show no light. I think the bulbs maybe dead. Anotehr thing I have to fix also. hehe

I just got my pathy today. I do have fogs also, but they don't work either.

I notice there is a switch close to my E-brake handle that turns on the fogs. WHen I click it on the little yellow light on the switch comes on, but the fogs show no light. I think the bulbs maybe dead. Anotehr thing I have to fix also. hehe

Deja vu. Same symptom on the fogs. Same on the door ajar light. LOL.

I discovered on my 1990 SE pathfinder, that the stock fog lights are wired to the passenger side headlight also, thus causing them to turn-off when you use high beams (this is for legal reasons...) and back on when you switch the headlights back to normal mode....and when my fog lights would just not work at all, I discovered it was a loose connection at the headlight, and just adjusting the wiring a little with my fingers would make them work again....and rather than go into rewiring them, I just leave them as is and they've been fine for over 2 years now and I burn them all the time when driving at night as they light up the road better than the standard high beams do. I replaced the bulbs once with 50 watt bulbs....or maybe it was 100 watt...I cant remember.

I also installed HELLA fog lights on my brush guard for when I really want to light up the road ahead.....I wired them direct to the battery so when high beams are cut on, the HELLAS will stay on too....

Out of curiosity, where was the stock foglight switch on the 90 SE?

I think the bulbs maybe dead

the fuse...before you go pulling the lamps to find out they're good...its that fuse and/or the relay

Dispense with the factory fogs, install bitch bar, and mount them on there. That's what I'm doing and I'll post pics when completed.

I think rewiring them and upgrading the bulbs is a good start...then the bitch bar with some hella's then the light bar on top with 4 lights...when I get done I should be able to light up the desert

while piddlin on ebay...HOLY @!*%...they're mighty proud of those guys

Edited by unccpathfinder

i had a bad relay in mine...and then the wires rubbed through somewhere and I had a ground problem and kept popping the fuse and never got around to rewiring...that'll give me something to do when I go back east in Dec along with fixing the oil pan gasket and valve cover seals

Ok, I just found out one of the two fogs are out!

I did it old school and tested it.

Here is what I did:

Back in elementary school did anyone in science class ever used two wires, 9-volt battery and touched the neg and pos to a light bulb??

Well that was what I did. Now I know one of the fogs are bad. Try it, it works :)

The switch is on the dash left of the steering wheel. To be exact the switch is between the rear glass hatch release switch and the power mirror control.

Mark

The switch is on the dash left of the steering wheel. To be exact the switch is between the rear glass hatch release switch and the power mirror control.

Mark

OK. On my 90, there's no blank space there for it; it has the Nissan alarm switch there instead.

the fuse...before you go pulling the lamps to find out they're good...its that fuse and/or the relay

I think rewiring them and upgrading the bulbs is a good start...then the bitch bar with some hella's then the light bar on top with 4 lights...when I get done I should be able to light up the desert

while piddlin on ebay...HOLY @!*%...they're mighty proud of those guys

If you want to go HID you get away a lot cheaper buying a good solid light with a strong durable housing and upgrading the bulbs with an HID conversion kit. The kits cost about $100 on ebay.

mark

OK. On my 90, there's no blank space there for it; it has the Nissan alarm switch there instead.

I had a 90 and now a 91 SE and they were both in the same place. the alarm switch with the LED was in the center console. Wonder why the Variation?

Mark

Look under your hood on passenger side against the back firewall, there is a bosch relay. This is the fog light relay on my 95XE, follow the black wire up toward the battery and check the fuse there(or possibly someone removed the fuselink and added a fuse there).

Deja vu. Same symptom on the fogs. Same on the door ajar light. LOL.

If your talking about the interior light not coming on when the door is open,check the connection against the bulb in the light itself. Mine keeps going out intermittently and simply tapping the light assy makes it come back on. I have tried bending the contact tabs inside the lamp assy to hold the bulb tighter but it seems to get loose again after a few days. Or I guess you could have a faulty door pin switch! Lemme know what you find!!

Edited by 95shakinPF

I had a 90 and now a 91 SE and they were both in the same place. the alarm switch with the LED was in the center console. Wonder why the Variation?

Mark

My suspicion is that my 90 is just a very early production model, despite it's official construction date of 4/90. It's definitely a 90, but there's a number of inconsistencies with the "official" 1990 spec.

There are NO switches in my center console at all, nor are there blank spots for any.

Edited by GhostPath

Look under your hood on passenger side against the back firewall, there is a bosch relay. This is the fog light relay on my 95XE, follow the black wire up toward the battery and check the fuse there(or possibly someone removed the fuselink and added a fuse there).

Fixed. Well, sorta. There was no fuse! Not knowing that amp rating the fuse should be I stuck a 30 in there for now. Any idea what it's suppose to be? 20? 10?

If your talking about the interior light not coming on when the door is open,check the connection against the bulb in the light itself. Mine keeps going out intermittently and simply tapping the light assy makes it come back on. I have tried bending the contact tabs inside the lamp assy to hold the bulb tighter but it seems to get loose again after a few days. Or I guess you could have a faulty door pin switch! Lemme know what you find!!

I was refering to the door ajar warning lamp on the dash flickering. Fixed that too today by adding two washers under the latch. I also positioned the latch slightly forward by 2mm or so. Rear hatch closes nice and tight and no more flickering of the warning light.

I've been on a lot of car related forums and this is by far the best! You guys are awesome.

Edited by feloniousmonk

on my 1990 se the stock fog light switch is on the lower RIGHT of the steering column, a small red knob that you pull out to turn the lights on (and it illuminates red when ON) and push in to turn off. Let me be honest here though, for all I know, they are stock on my rig, since they were on it when I bought it and I just assume they are stock as I dont see any other places on my dash where a fog light switch would be. To visualize, when sitting in the drivers seat...my switch is located just above where my right knee would be, on that lower part of the dash.

Mine are the rectangular fog lights that are mounted right under the front bumper.....

maybe they aren't stock?? doesn't matter to me really but hey they work! :)

Fixed. Well, sorta. There was no fuse! Not knowing that amp rating the fuse should be I stuck a 30 in there for now. Any idea what it's suppose to be? 20?10?

Not exactly sure what size its supposed to be? every aftermarket fog lamp kit Ive ever messed with had a minimum of 25amp circuit however my pathy had a 15amp fuse(looked like an added blade fuse type fuse holder, but wasnt spliced in anywhere so I wasnt sure if it was original or not)and hasent blown it yet!!! By the way good work on the door latch!! Hope Ive helped!!

Billy

A 15 should be fine. 10 if you don't have a 15. You don't want to go too high or you run the risk of overheating wires and melting stuff somewhere.

On 87-early 90's the fog light switch was either a rectangular one in the dash or it was a little plastic push-pull switch mounted low down under the dash on the right side, same as Chris has. I've seen three junkyard Pathys with the push-pull switch, one was yellow and two were red.