Canadiandriver.com Review Of 90-95 Pathy

88pathoffroad

It never fails to amaze me how little research people do before writing an article for a car review site.

Here's an email I wrote to the editor/webmaster:

To whom it may concern:

From the webpage at: http://www.canadiandriver.com/articles/jc/...5pathfinder.htm written by Jeremy Cato:

The following excerpts taken from the above webpage (in bold below) should probably be corrected or added to...

The SE model was available with an optional sport/normal mode selector which allowed drivers to choose between a firm ride off-road, or a softer ride on the highway.

I've also seen XE's and LE's with adjustable shocks. It was a customer-selectable option.

One of this generation of Pathfinder's biggest faults was the power-assisted recirculating ball steering.

I think I would disagree on that. The biggest fault in a 95 is the potential for frame rust in the rear. However, the steering system does suck, yes. Even mild offroad use will potentially damage the steering and require replacement parts over time. I have personally ruined a completely all-new stock steering system in under two days from offroading. Most of the fault of the steering's sloppiness is due to the centerlink design and the overall IFS design. Several aftermarket companies now produce beefed-up steering components that fix this problem completely.

It was never particularly precise even on the base model with its thinner P215/75R15 tires. The bigger P235/75R15 tires which were standard on the SE (along with chrome spoked wheels) made it even more sloppy.

31x10.50x15 tires on aluminum 15x7 wheels were also available for the XE, SE and LE models. Many Pathfinders came with them, it was a major advertising point in magazine ads in the late 80's. E models were bare-bones and had the 215's. All base XE's, SE's and LE's started with 235's.

Unlike Nissan's main Japanese competitor, Toyota's 4Runner, the Pathfinder four-door was never available in a two-wheel drive version.

Not true, I've seen many 2WD 4-door Pathfinders. They have the same 2-piece driveshaft that most of the Nissan HB trucks use.

However, this generation lacked a full shift-on-the-fly four-wheel system that was far less convenient than most competitive part-time systems used by rival trucks of the day.

First of all, this sentence needs restructuring! Secondly, you can shift into 4HI at up to 25 MPH on the road with the stock automatic hubs. How much more shift-on-the-fly can you get? Same as Toyota...

For 1993, Nissan updated the front and rear bumpers and re-shaped the fenders. New inner door beams that year enhanced side-impact protection. A new instrument panel arrived in 1994 and it was a major improvement.

The new instrumentation debuted in 1993, not 1994. AFAIK the front fenders from 87-95 all interchange, they are the same. No fender re-styling at all.

A very decently built limited slip rear differential was a customer option from 87-95. The external tire carrier was also a factory option, it was not based on trim level. I've seen external tire carriers on all models.

Thanks,

88pathoffroad

Admin of Nissan Pathfinder Off-Road Association

http://npora.ipbhost.com

Reply!

88pathoffroad,

Thanks for writing CanadianDriver. I appreciate that you took the time to offer suggestions for revisions.

While I’m no expert on specific generations of Pathfinders, I would like to point out that the vehicles reviewed are Canadian models. You may be unaware that vehicles sold in Canada are often significantly different than vehicles sold in the United States, particularly with respect to trim level packages and available options. Unless offered as a dealer-installed accessory, vehicles would have come with the equipment described. The customer would not have had the option of selecting different wheels, a carrier or shocks for different trim levels. Two-wheel pathfinders were not sold in Canada.

The article you are referring to was written eight years ago. I’m glad you finally found us and hope you will visit again,

Grant Yoxon

CanadianDriver.com

So, has anyone in Canuckistan ever seen a 2WD 4-door or what? Is that correct or no?

Prior to buying mine, while in the process of shopping, I remember seeing an ad for a 2WD Pathy in a local Winnipeg paper. Can't remember if it was a local vehicle or not?? Also could have been a typo I suppose but if they made them it sure must have been a small run.

Reshaped the guards/fenders?? Perhaps they got their wires crossed and were talking about the Navara/Hard Body. They changed here on the Navara around that time, the bonnet/hood grill, head lights and clearance/corner lights were also changed. They became almost Pathfinder, the grill and lights were still different.

As for a two wheel drive Pathfinder, I had never heard of one until I came here.

Yep, as noted, NO 2wd drive Pathfinders of any generation in Canada, W or R series, 2 or 4 door.

Also different trim levels as well, so the differences mentioned in the article and 88's comments are probably both true, depending on what side of the border you are on.

I also thought it was a polite reply from CD and good comments from 88.

PS: Frame rust is not an issue in Western Canada but due to long distances between gas stations, fuel tank size could be. We have lots of Check Your Fuel Next Service xxx km signs here :tongue:

YEAH! Or our wicked beavers :blush02: oops...double entendre...are they allowed on this board?

It's a chemical reaction that occurs only when they eat Americans.

Now that's funny right there I don't care what you say :laugh: !