My Pathy

Charlie

I bought my pathfinder for a whopping $500. It is an 88 with 244,000 miles on the odo. So far, I have done a tune up and changed the timing belt. The truck came with 31x10.50 BFG Radial Long Trails, and the bull bar in the front. So far, I have repainted the bull bar, added some Hella 500 off-road lights. I added a JBL head unit, a JL audio amp and two JL audio 10" subs in a ported bandpass box, as well as some rubber floor mats. I plan to get some disconnectable sway bars (any clues as to who makes these for the WD21? I used the search, but it didn't turn up a single thing), a locker, and a BL later on down the road. Here's some pics for your enjoyment:

:beer:

100_2864.jpg

100_2870.jpg

Its an Arizona car so the entire truck is completely rust free, not even surface rust on any of the suspension or anything (Ahh, the beauty of living where you average rainfall is less than 10") Also, when you disconnect the sway bar, does it keep itself out of the way? or does it hang down and smack into stuff on the trail?

Edited by Charlie

Congrats on the truck :aok:

Although you can spend the money on the disconnects, I would recommend that before you do, remove the sway bar and drive without it for a week. Then decide if your money is well spent on them, or best spent elsewhere.

I disconnected my (rear) sway bar a long time ago, and have had no problems since. Other drivers have even been "kind" enough to have given me the opportunity to test the trucks manors in quick maneuvers without it... including the morning after I removed it... a local newspaper van almost ran me off the road @ 50mph, then the other morning I had a car pull RIGHT out in front of me @ 45mph. She handled perfectly, I really could not have asked for her to have handled any better.

But test it for yourself and come to your own conclusion :aok:

I find the front sway is the only one that makes a difference on the road. And it's removal makes absolutely NO difference offroad. I've run with them both on, and both off, and now only have the rear off, and I'm every bit as capable off road with only the rear off as I was with both off. And my truck doesn't feel like it's going to roll over every time I make a turn on the road now.

• 1 month later...

Yes, removing the rear swaybar increases articulation by A LOT. Here's a couple pictures to show you the difference. This is the same spot, on the same trail about 3 weeks apart. The only difference on my truck is the removal of the rear swaybar.

Before, with swaybar attached

IMG_019.jpg

After, no rear swaybar.

IMG_015.jpg

Look how much closer the wheel is to the ground in that 2nd pic. :aok:

The front swaybar, in my opinion, is the only one that matters on the road, and it's removal does nothing for you offroad. I've left mine on.