Fuel Pump

88Rampage

Hey all, I'm getting ready for winter and was gonna do some work to the Pathy. The truck has some mileage on it and I would like to not get stuck with it :). I was thinking about changing the fuel pump and filter. Just wondering if any one has had a pump crap out on them. Come to think of it I've yet to see any nissan fuel pump go bad. Just wondering if I should even bother. Thanks guys.

Nope....typically the fuel pumps are okay. More so, the sending unit and it's wiring go bad. I had to replace one on my old truck, and even had to re-wire my replacement unit after a couple of years.

my fuel pump had 250k miles on it when I pulled it after busting my engine and swapping in a 95 (higher PSI requirements) it had barely any dirt on the screen in the tank...if you would like a spare I still have it and I have no use for it was actually going ot list it on ebay...make me an offer it then if it goes bad you can change it in a matter of about 30 mins or so on the side of the road if the rear carpet doesnt give you a hassle

Come to think of it I've yet to see any nissan fuel pump go bad.

I actually had two nissan fuel pumps fail on me, 90 240sx and 95 240sx. In the 95 the relay went as well. Luckily you can get cheap replacements at your local auto parts store and it's an easy swap.

I haven't checked but is there an access hole in the trunk to the pump?

There are in the 240sx's and my 96 Pathy (under the rear seat), not sure about the older Pathys.

Like uncc says, if you're worried about it you can always just carry a spare, it won't take up much room, it's just a small cylindrical thingy...

Edited by HitTheTrails

Like uncc says, if you're worried about it you can always just carry a spare, it won't take up much room, it's just a small cylindrical thingy...

I'm not too worried about it going bad. I'm going to make this my winter only truck to sort of a daily driver, and I figured while I was going through it I'd change it as well. No need though if they hardly go bad.