4wd Sticky?

freezerburn

Ok guys, i'm new to having 4wd and I have a question regarding my machine.

I recently had my truck in 4 Lo and was about to climb a steep hill. I put it in 4lo while still on the pavement and had to turn around in order to get onto the hill.

As I was turning around I noticed my front tires seemed to squawk a little and the truck would come to a stop without the brakes even while in neutral. It was like there was a lot of drag coming from the front axle being engaged as I do not have this slowing down problem in 2hi.

I wheeled it around quite a bit in 4lo earlier on some nice trails and didn't notice the sqawking probably because I was on mud and grass.

Anyway is there something wrong here or is it a normal thing. I would think that the vehicle should still be able to coast freely in neutral or at least more freely than it was while 4wd is engaged.

** it also has this trouble turning and slowing down problem in 4hi **

That's perfectly normal. The issue is that when the wheel is turned, the front and rear differentials are working against each other. Obviously, this is something you want to avoid. Do not use either 4hi, or 4lo on dry pavement or other high traction scenarios.

Typically, that's how I test to see if 4wd system is working. I'll go into a parking lot. Throw it in 4wd, and turn sharp. If the tires squawk, or the truck "hops" a bit, I know it's all working as it should.

I actually took it for a bit of a highway drive and it was in 4hi last nite. Oh well, i didn't notice until I got into the parking lot anyway.

be careful with that...it could be bad...and you rarely will need 4L and I would try not to use it on dry pavement at all...you run the risk of ripping up the tcase

• 2 weeks later...
awesome thanks man. I actually took it for a bit of a highway drive and it was in 4hi last nite. Oh well, i didn't notice until I got into the parking lot anyway.

Man, I'm glad I signed up for this post- My new (87, 137k miles), just purchased was doing that when I test drove at the auction- 5 speed is great, no issue. I put in 4Hi, and it jumped, jerked and stalled- I've actually got a tranny guy looking at it right now, as I thought the front end or transfer case was funky. Good question freezerburn!

awesome thanks man. I actually took it for a bit of a highway drive and it was in 4hi last nite. Oh well, i didn't notice until I got into the parking lot anyway.

Be VERY careful, highway speeds will kill the transfer case. I think 55 is max in 4WH IRRC, it may only be 45. More like 25-30 in 4WL. This drivetrain is very strong, more than most, but only to a point.

Be VERY careful, highway speeds will kill the transfer case. I think 55 is max in 4WH IRRC, it may only be 45. More like 25-30 in 4WL. This drivetrain is very strong, more than most, but only to a point.

Yah i am pretty sure that the top speed for 4lo is 25, maybe even 20. But honsetly if you have so little traction that you are using 4lo you should be driving nowhere near those speeds. With 4hi however i don't remeber ever reading about a max speed. I am pretty sure that I have gone over 55 though.