Weight Of Oil To Use?

yar1

on 8-13 i changed the oil and put in castrol 5-30 high mileage oil, when i checked it once done it read full( i put in 4qts) about a week later it was reading only half full( cold) now today it needed some when i checked it (hot). is 5-30 too thin to use in this engine/weather? it has 131k miles and its been ~100 in the bay area lately. should i add thicker oil? drain it all and put in thicker oil? put in lucas oil stabilizer? i used that last time with regular castrol 10-40 and it lost no oil, but it wasn't as hot then.

I run 10w-30 in my truck (which is a VQ35 powered R50) in every season but the winter to avoid oil consumption. In the winter I switch back to 5w-30.

p.s. - I understand the viscocity difference between any w-30 oil is relatively close, but it has seemed to make a definite difference for my vehicle. I was going to a w40 oil if the vehicle continued consuming oil.

Edited by BernieMac

I run Mobil1 Extended 15,000 mile 5W-30 oil, and have for about 70,000 miles. I also use a Wix extended life oil filter. I do 10,000 mile oil change. I'm at 139,000 miles on my engine and have no ticks, taps or any sort of oil consumption or problems, stemming from oil, whatsoever. Each oil change costs a little more than a normal change, but I do them less than 1/3 as often.

My reasoning behind the 10,000 mile oil changes - it's a pain in the ass to remove the skidplates to change the oil.

My reasoning behind the 10,000 mile oil changes - it's a pain in the ass to remove the skidplates to change the oil.

Whoa! If I used a 10,000-mile OCI, it would be over 2 years between oil changes! Have you ever had a used oil analysis to find out if a 10K OCI is OK?

I run Mobil1 Extended 15,000 mile 5W-30 oil, and have for about 70,000 miles. I also use a Wix extended life oil filter. I do 10,000 mile oil change. I'm at 139,000 miles on my engine and have no ticks, taps or any sort of oil consumption or problems, stemming from oil, whatsoever. Each oil change costs a little more than a normal change, but I do them less than 1/3 as often.

Its even more of a bitch when the guys who changed it last stripped all the bolts and used tie straps. We had to buy 12 new bolts and re tap the holes, and I made sure anti seize was put on. And we just switched to mobile 1 5-w50 supersyn oil. No consumption as of yet, and its been 1500 miles.

We run Amsoil 10-30 in ours and change every 7500 miles. As other folks have noted, the dipstick reads the same between changes.

gt

in