First Click Of Lights Blowing Fuses

cohen

I got it back today from t-belt, water pump, etc. change and put in a new cd player and hooked it up exactly as the old one was and when I turned the lights on the first click (the second being the headlights) the fuse blows for the gauges, center console and corner lamps.

what's wireing adapter kit?

This: http://retailer.installationexcellence.com...;productid=1042

70-1763.jpg

It lets you install a stereo into a car or truck without butchering the original wiring connectors. Also makes it harder to make mistakes in wiring. Our trucks are common enough that there is no excuse to NOT be using one of these.

Edited by GhostPath

Our trucks are common enough that there is no excuse to NOT be using one of these.

I think its a ripoff personally everywhere i found it locally wanted like $30-$40 for it...whats the difference in that and hard wiring? if i use the factory wiring to the head unit plug? it reduces the number of splices...I have only used one in a co-workers HB b/c he was paranoid about not "doing it correctly"

what's the reason v6?

where can you get one for our trucks?

Any stereo shop should have or be able to get one. I got mine for $13 from a local electronics shop, Fry's.

I think its a ripoff personally everywhere i found it locally wanted like $30-$40 for it...whats the difference in that and hard wiring? if i use the factory wiring to the head unit plug? it reduces the number of splices...I have only used one in a co-workers HB b/c he was paranoid about not "doing it correctly"

They're like $9 on eBay.

The difference is that it converts the factory wiring from the Nissan colors to the standard wire colors for aftermarket stereos. Then all you have to do is connect like to like. If you screw it up, you can just trim the adapter harness and do it over, rather than trying to trim the original factory wire, which may then be too short. If you change head units, you just unplug it from the factory harness, cut the old head unit's splices off, then splice the new head unit's on. Finally, if you think you're getting an intermittent from a bad splice, you can pull the adapter harness out and ring it out, rather than try to ring out the hacked up factory one.

I agree with ghostpath, my moms bf has a cavalier and the PO installed a pioneer head unit, the wiring was done so poorly that if you slammed the door hard enough it'd kill the sound and lights. When the new alpine HU went it, a wiring adapter was put in by the tech who did it, we watched to make sure :shiftyeyes:

what's the reason v6?

where can you get one for our trucks?

1. Availability, I have never seen one here.... Not that I bothered to ever look mind you. Just haven't had the need to. I don't want to have to hunt one down or try ebay... I have the unit and want to install it.. YESTERDAY!

2. The stereo/head unit comes with its own plug(s).

3. It is not hard to splice the stereo/head unit plug that came with your particular unit...

4. Correct me if I am wrong here but.... A "universal" adapter still has to be spliced into the stereo/head unit plug as well as the cars wiring harness doesn't it? So why use it and make the job harder with twice the splice work?

5. Money to buy this useless piece of hardware. Granted, I don't know how much one would cost but the conflicting prices here are enough to turn me off anyway.

Need I go on? :crossedwires:

:itsallgood:

There is an illumination wire, power antenna wire, and interrupt wire that aren't connected but they have rubber covers over them that I thought would protect it. When I took out the 4th from the left fuse it cut my radio off and it keeps blowing the 5th to the left but in Haynes it has a black dot between the two almost as if connecting them. I have new fuses and I'm getting ready to take the cd player out and ill make sure the illumination is not touching anything.

When I got the first cd player installed at best buy they just put connectors on the old one and made the colors the right ones. you are talking about the clip for the speakers right? There is another clip but only the yellow and red wires were extended. there are 2 oranges and some other colors.

thanks guys

1. Availability, I have never seen one here.... Not that I bothered to ever look mind you. Just haven't had the need to. I don't want to have to hunt one down or try ebay... I have the unit and want to install it.. YESTERDAY!

2. The stereo/head unit comes with its own plug(s).

3. It is not hard to splice the stereo/head unit plug that came with your particular unit...

4. Correct me if I am wrong here but.... A "universal" adapter still has to be spliced into the stereo/head unit plug as well as the cars wiring harness doesn't it? So why use it and make the job harder with twice the splice work?

5. Money to buy this useless piece of hardware. Granted, I don't know how much one would cost but the conflicting prices here are enough to turn me off anyway.

Need I go on? :crossedwires:

:itsallgood:

1. They're everywhere here. Certainly no more than an hour away in a big city area.

2. It does NOT come with plugs for the stock connector. And what if you want another head unit from another maker? Yup, gotta trim back the already cut factory harness again. Oh, wait, you've already done it three times and now it's too short to take another one... ooops.

4. As usual, you are wrong. The adapter has the specific plug to plug into the original wiring harness. You still only make one set of splices. It's just that if you need to do it again for another unit or because you screwed up, you're dealing with the adaptor and not the irreplacable stock wiring.

I'll go get a pic of the one on my Pioneer to show you how it's done. Should also mention that in another life I was a stereo installer and I made LOTS of money off of fixing the typical amateur idiocy when it fell apart on the owner. Installing a stereo properly isn't rocket science.

Edited by GhostPath

ok I moved all open wires out into the open and made sure they werent touching anything and its still blowing them. both wiring harnesses and the factory female antenna plug

1. They're everywhere here. Certainly no more than an hour away in a big city area.

2. It does NOT come with plugs for the stock connector. And what if you want another head unit from another maker? Yup, gotta trim back the already cut factory harness again. Oh, wait, you've already done it three times and now it's too short to take another one... ooops.

4. As usual, you are wrong. The adapter has the specific plug to plug into the original wiring harness. You still only make one set of splices. It's just that if you need to do it again for another unit or because you screwed up, you're dealing with the adaptor and not the irreplacable stock wiring.

I'll go get a pic of the one on my Pioneer to show you how it's done.

Point 1 in your reply....

An hour away is hardly everywhere. Were you able to track down a fair price within that hour or would you have to look another hour to find one at a decent price?

Point 2 in your reply....

Why are you cutting wires anyway?? You don't know how to use a soldering iron to undo a soldered wire? It, FYI, is exactly the same as soldering a wire, except this time you don't use solder and you pull the wires apart when the solder softens. Easy isn't it?

Point 3 in your reply....

Seems to be an issue just being able to count?? 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 etc.....

Point 4 in your reply?....

Barr your "as usual" comment, as to which you are the one that is incorrect. (You really must read what is written in order to understand what's said.) *shakes head in disbelief and wonders if your sister is a beauty queen* I am compelled to ask how "stock" wiring is suddenly irreplaceable? This is an absurd statement so please explain it to me.

Don't bother with your pic.. you'll upset, and then incur the wrath of "fondo" and I'd hate to see him ranting again.

ok I moved all open wires out into the open and made sure they werent touching anything and its still blowing them. both wiring harnesses and the factory female antenna plug

Unplug the unit and see if the lights still blow.. It may be something else and this will at least exclude something from the equation.

Unplug the unit and see if the lights still blow.. It may be something else and this will at least exclude something from the equation.

it works fine when the cd player isn't connected...next check??

Point 1 in your reply....

An hour away is hardly everywhere. Were you able to track down a fair price within that hour or would you have to look another hour to find one at a decent price?

I was able to track down and obtain one for $13 within an hour of conceiving the desire to have one.

Point 2 in your reply....

Why are you cutting wires anyway?? You don't know how to use a soldering iron to undo a soldered wire? It, FYI, is exactly the same as soldering a wire, except this time you don't use solder and you pull the wires apart when the solder softens. Easy isn't it?

Over here, one standard for installing stereos in cars is to twist the bare wire ends together, and then crimp them together to keep them from unravelling. This is how most people do it. You then have to cut the crimp off when you remove it. Almost nobody solders, especially the original car's wiring, because usually it's in close proximity to plastic trim pieces.

Point 3 in your reply....

Seems to be an issue just being able to count?? 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 etc.....

I was responding to your specific points and leaving point 3 out of it.

Point 4 in your reply?....

Barr your "as usual" comment, as to which you are the one that is incorrect. (You really must read what is written in order to understand what's said.) *shakes head in disbelief and wonders if your sister is a beauty queen* I am compelled to ask how "stock" wiring is suddenly irreplaceable? This is an absurd statement so please explain it to me.

If your stock wiring is cut too short, you then have to take the whole dash apart and either repair or replace the wiring harness. Good luck with that.

Don't bother with your pic.. you'll upset, and then incur the wrath of "fondo" and I'd hate to see him ranting again.

Too bad, pics are coming.

Pics:

Here's my Pioneer Premier DEH-P480MP, removed from my now-departed Pathfinder:

IMG_1884.JPG

Note that the Pioneer-supplied harness is spliced to the Metra adapter. Note that a similar adapter is now sold at WalMart (enormous American store chain) for $11, as someone has pointed out to me. Walmarts are everywhere here.

On one end is the Pioneer plug. Look at what's on the other end:

IMG_1888.JPG

Yup, the appropriate plug for the original factory harness. You plug this end right into the truck.

wiring harness for speakers

I havent taken the electrical tape off but I think it was spliced and the right color wire was taped on the open wire

2 white changes to purple

2 green changes to green

2 black changes to grey

2 brown changes to white

1 green with white has nothing changed or connected to it

The other wiring harness

2 oranges

2 greys

2 whites

1 solid red connected

1 solid yellow connected

1 solid blue

blue clip witth 2 wires

don't know what this is but has pink with blue and black with brown spots

these are not connected to anything:

-blue (power antenna lead)

-pink with black (Audio Interrupt in lead)

-orange (illumination)

Edited by cohen

Not clear enough to decipher the wires by color/markings - what head unit are you running?

Check for the orange/orange and white wire in the harness - what are they connected to?

OK, then one of your orange wires is hooked up wrong. Time to grab a multimeter.

Edited by GhostPath

it works fine when the cd player isn't connected...next check??

So you now know for sure you have a crossed wire in your install of the radio. Find the wire

orange wire is for the illumination/dimmer. Butt it or tape or up to prevent it from grounding.
I'd try this. Then if the doesn't work with the plug removed, turn on your headlights and with a simple "light circuit checker" see what wire(s) are active at the plug. Check that against the unit side to make sure the wire is sending power where it is meant to.