First Click Of Lights Blowing Fuses

cohen

the post with the pictures has been updated and is more understandable

Not clear enough to decipher the wires by color/markings - what head unit are you running?

Check for the orange/orange and white wire in the harness - what are they connected to?

OK, then one of your orange wires is hooked up wrong. Time to grab a multimeter.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

speaker wiring harness:

2 white - purple

2 green - green

2 black - grey

2 brown - white

1 green with white - nothing connected to it

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Alpine head unit (the new IDA-X001)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

they orange/orange and white wires aren't connected to anything

multimeter bit the dust I think it needs a new fuse.

Edited by cohen

the post with the pictures has been updated and hopefully is more understandable!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

speaker wiring harness:

2 white - purple

2 green - green

2 black - grey

2 brown - white

1 green with white - nothing connected to it

Alpine head unit (the new IDA-X001)

they orange/orange and white wires aren't connected to anything

multimeter bit the dust I think it needs a new fuse.

OK, you have the Scosche or Metra adapter there. The "other wiring harness" is the main one for the power, lighting, amp control, and front speakers.

They forgot to tape/cover up the cut wire ends on the orange wires. Chances are that they're contacting metal when you put the stereo back in the car, and when you turn the lights on, POOF, the fuse goes. Tape up all the cut and exposed ends you've got there and that should solve the problem.

"The "other wiring harness" is the main one for the power, lighting, amp control, and front speakers."

Connected there^:

-Red wire (Switched Power (Ignition) Lead)

-Yellow wire (Battery Lead)

my amp is connected to the remote lead (blue with white) (random clearish wire that was installed with amp kit...by best buy) and front speakers are hooked up to "speaker wiring harness" at gray/gray with black and white/white with black.

-------------------

I took all the wires and clips out and nothing was touching the wires and it still blew. could it have anything to do with the orange illumination wire not being attached to the orange/orange with white wire even though there is no ground on the Alpine wiring harness for the illumination?

Edited by cohen

I took all the wires and clips out and nothing was touching the wires and it still blew. could it have anything to do with the orange illumination wire not being attached to the orange/orange with white wire even though there is no ground on the Alpine wiring harness for the illumination?

From what I'm reading about your Alpine, the orange and orange/white wires should be taped off, both separate from each other, in your installation.

What do you mean about "removing all the wires and clips?"

Edited by GhostPath

pulling them out from the center console so I can see all the open wires and making sure nothing is touching them. But this was while the cd player was still connected and it still blew the fuse. But it doesn't blow the fuse with the cd player unhooked at the alpine wiring harness

Edited by cohen

pulling them out from the center console so I can see all the open wires and making sure nothing is touching them. But this was while the cd player was still connected and it still blew the fuse. But it doesn't blow the fuse with the cd player unhooked at the alpine wiring harness

Look inside the adapter end (and the truck wiring harness and see if any of the pins are touching each other.

Look inside the adapter end (and the truck wiring harness and see if any of the pins are touching each other.

nothing is touching. it has plasctic seperating them all but I took them apart and checked too. I did notice my ground is taped into my cigarette lighter (black with brown spots). Originally the ground had a ring crimped on the the end like you were supposed to ground it out with a screw through the ring but I cut it off and crimped it to the ground for my other cd player which ends up running to the cigarette lighter. Not sure if this has anything to do with it but maybe it would help.

I checked the fuse for the cig lighter and it is good.

Edited by cohen

You can not move forward until you are able to locate the wire that is going to the lights and causing your short. Get your multimeter fixed or buy a cheap circuit test light so you can identify the live wire in the wrong spot.

I wouldn't keep energising the unit either. It could be damaging it... Having said that, the unit does power up OK still doesn't it?

yes it does work fine. so when I get the multimeter what and how am I supposed to test the wires??

First of all, check to make sure that each pin on the harness connector only rings through to one pin on the other connector.

Next, check to see which pin(s) have voltage with the ignition on and the lights off, then with the lights on.

yes it does work fine. so when I get the multimeter what and how am I supposed to test the wires??

Firstly, do you know how to use a multimeter? If not post a pic of the multimeter and we can tell you how to set it. If that can not be done then you would be better off with a test light.

I'd look for the live wire coming from the headlights first.

You will need to have one wire (black) from your mm or check light earthed. Make sure it is a good earth! With the wire earthed and your stereo unit unplugged and your lights on, touch each pin you can see in the plug(s) separately with the other (red) wire on the mm. You should have only 1 live wire. Your properly set mm should read 12 volts when you find the live pin/wire. A check light will light up. When you find it, isolate it and check the unit works.

I might add that a common mistake when wiring into plugs is that people sometimes forget to wire in mirror image.

Let's imagine that we are looking at the ends of both a male and female plug with four pins and the colours are the wires we have attached to each pin.

An example would be....

{_*_*_*_*_] [_*_*_*_*_}

On the face of it the colours seem in order, they are wrong and should be opposite each other. I have been known to do this once or twice myself when I have had other things on my mind. And I am sure I am not the only one either.

Check it perhaps?

Edited by Vsicks Pathy

Firstly, do you know how to use a multimeter? If not post a pic of the multimeter and we can tell you how to set it. If that can not be done then you would be better off with a test light.

I'd look for the live wire coming from the headlights first.

You will need to have one wire (black) from your mm or check light earthed. Make sure it is a good earth! With the wire earthed and your stereo unit unplugged and your lights on, touch each pin you can see in the plug(s) separately with the other (red) wire on the mm. You should have only 1 live wire. Your properly set mm should read 12 volts when you find the live pin/wire. A check light will light up. When you find it, isolate it and check the unit works.

I know how to use a mulitmeter. so I check the harness with the battery lead not the speaker harness. So when I find the live pin I cut the wire that connects it to head unit and plug it in again and try it? I don't have the harnesses backwards because I crimped all my wires and didn't use a harness except for the one that plugs into the back of the head unit. And none of the colors match up like the red wire goes to a green with white on the factory side of the harness and the yellow goes to red with green, and those are the only 2 wires connected on that harness.

Edited by cohen

I know how to use a mulitmeter. so I check the harness with the battery lead not the speaker harness. So when I find the live pin I cut the wire that connects it to head unit and plug it in again and try it? I don't have the harnesses backwards because I crimped all my wires and didn't use a harness except for the one that plugs into the back of the head unit. And none of the colors match up like the red wire goes to a green with white on the factory side of the harness and the yellow goes to red with green, and those are the only 2 wires connected on that harness.

Have your ignition off. Just have the lights on only because that seems to be the troublesome area of your install. Before you cut any wire, see where it goes to on the radio side. My hope is that it is going straight to earth. Worst case scenario is that it is shooting straight into your unit and killing it just a little bit each time before the fuse blows.

Have your ignition off. Just have the lights on only because that seems to be the troublesome area of your install. Before you cut any wire, see where it goes to on the radio side. My hope is that it is going straight to earth. Worst case scenario is that it is shooting straight into your unit and killing it just a little bit each time before the fuse blows.

See where which wire goes, I take it you mean the single live wire? I'm working on it again tonight with a working multimeter. So what do I do when I find this single live wire? I'm sorry for the ignorance I just started learning about electronics a year ago. :crossedwires:

See where which wire goes, I take it you mean the single live wire? I'm working on it again tonight with a working multimeter. So what do I do when I find this single live wire? I'm sorry for the ignorance I just started learning about electronics a year ago. :crossedwires:

Just see what wire it is connecting to on the radio side. eg. If the live wire you find for the headlights is pink, see what colour the connecting wire is. If it is connecting to a black wire for example.. that would be the problem. Black wires are generally earth wires. But check the connecting wire to see if it is an earth wire regardless of colour anyway.

I'd hardly say you are ignorant either. You are learning which is the complete opposite.

red (connected to red wire which is Switched power Ignition) > | = | green with white

orange (not connected to anything) > | = | pink with blue (but there is a pink with black under it...ground??)

yellow (connected to yellow wire which is battery lead) > | = | red with green

red is getting 0 volts

orange is getting 11.66 volts

yellow is getting 12.25 volts

my guess is I need to hook the illumination wire (orange) up to the orange lead (pink with blue) and ground out the wire under it (pink with black)

Edited by cohen

red (connected to red wire which is Switched power Ignition) > | = | green with white

orange (not connected to anything) > | = | pink with blue (but there is a pink with black under it...ground??)

yellow (connected to yellow wire which is battery lead) > | = | red with green

red is getting 0 volts

orange is getting 11.66 volts

yellow is getting 12.25 volts

my guess is I need to hook the illumination wire (orange) up to the orange lead (pink with blue) and ground out the wire under it (pink with black)

Are you getting power into two wires with the headlights on? You should only have power through one wire.

Is the pink/black wire on the radio side or the pathy wiring?

IT WORKS! :lmao: pink/black is pathy side. I connected the illumination to orange lead (pink/blue) and made a ground for the orange/white lead (pink/black). and it works. Thank you for the help I saved $60. I owe you guys a beer. :aok: