Replacing Universal Joints

Precise1

Most have a zerk fitting for a grease gun, but sometimes you need a narrow, solid tip to get to it due to clearance. Be careful not to blow the dust caps off, or if you do, then re-seat them!!

B

• 4 months later...
How do you grease a U joint... not to sound stupid but 0o'

Most have a zerk fitting for a grease gun, but sometimes you need a narrow, solid tip to get to it due to clearance. Be careful not to blow the dust caps off, or if you do, then re-seat them!!

B

FYI: The stock ones just have a plug, you can remove the plug and insert a zerk.

• 2 years later...

I just did the transmission side joint on my 95, and wow did it ever make a difference, the truck feels a lot smoother now. When I pulled the shaft I checked both and the one at the rear end felt fine (no play and no binding) but the one at the tranny was a bit stiff on one axis. I just used 2 sockets and some blocks of wood with a hammer in my driveway and had it done in an hour. No dry cups for me which is good. I don't know if these joints were original or not because they had a screw plug where a grease fitting would go but I didn't see that in any of B's pics. But they may well be original since grimgreg says they have a plug. 350,000kms or 216k miles out of the oem parts, not too bad. I only hope the acdelco replacements I used last 1/4 of that! :lol:

I'll post up my pictures when I get a chance.