New Guy From Canada

MarkGardiner

Hey guys, nice to find a pathfinder forum :)

I got an 88 pathy, powersteering isn't working, hasn't since I bought it. I replaced all power steering hoses, hooked it up and its leakin like crazy. I got replacement sector seals, replacing the seals themselves seems alright, its the removing of the pitman arm that sounds challenging, i'm getting a pitman arm puller, however does anyone have any advise before i attempt this?

Thanks!!

Mark

22010344346.jpg

Edited by MarkGardiner

Well.....getting the pitman arm off could be a treat. We did an upgraded steering system on a member's truck a while back and could not budge the nut. Even after a mechanic got the nut removed, they aparently had a real difficult time removing the pitman arm from the steering box.

You might want to try looking for a scrapyard steering box assembly to swap in. Replacing the seals on these steering boxes can be a real PITA, as there's a bunch of tiny needle bearings to fall out when you take the box apart.

Well.....getting the pitman arm off could be a treat. We did an upgraded steering system on a member's truck a while back and could not budge the nut. Even after a mechanic got the nut removed, they aparently had a real difficult time removing the pitman arm from the steering box.

You might want to try looking for a scrapyard steering box assembly to swap in. Replacing the seals on these steering boxes can be a real PITA, as there's a bunch of tiny needle bearings to fall out when you take the box apart.

Yea, thats all I've been hearing, hard times and headaches getting the pitman arm out, only problem with finding one to swap is that the closest junkyard to me is about 45 mins, the one after that is about 2 hours, and there dont seem to be many pathy's in this area, however I will definetly give them a call to see if they have any...

If not, considering its not my daily driver I'll still attempt it, turnin 31's with no PS is a good workout but it'd be nice to have PS hehe

Thanks dude

I pulled my pitman arm off without a problem. But I did spray it with penetrating oil every day for 2 weeks before attemping to pull it off.

nice to see another Canuck.

Manitoba for me,

I pulled my pitman arm off without a problem. But I did spray it with penetrating oil every day for 2 weeks before attemping to pull it off.

nice to see another Canuck.

Manitoba for me,

I attempted getting the pitman arm nut off lastnight, didn't go so well, I even had a 4 foot pipe for torque and she still wouldn't budge, the threads aren't reversed by any chance are they lol before i attempt again.

Pezzy - I dont scare that easily common

Well maybe if he has not changed his Timing belt.... but if he is playing with the PS, Im sure he has either proof of it being done, or its on the top of his list....

Got any pictures of it getting muddy???

I attempted getting the pitman arm nut off lastnight, didn't go so well, I even had a 4 foot pipe for torque and she still wouldn't budge, the threads aren't reversed by any chance are they lol before i attempt again.

Pezzy - I dont scare that easily common

Oh I used a 1" impact wrench add a hammer to your 4 ft pipe.