Calmini Vs. New Cl

Digger

The time has come to replace the Pathy's front steering and I'm interested in some feedback on the available options. I see that many of you have gone with rebuilt or aftermarket centerlinks like the ones Hoohaa is making, while others are opting for the Calmini kit. I'm curious to hear some of the pros and cons of both options. Seems like going with a new CL is about half the price of the Calmini kit, but it doesn't address some of the weaknesses in the Pathy design. (i.e. bump oversteer, loose feeling) The Calmini kit apparently improves some of those things but I have heard stories about them wearing out very quickly. Is there a "better" option? I'm really not crazy about any kind of loose feeling in the front end.

My Pathy is a 95 XE 4X4, still completely stock. I'm currently running 235 75R15s as I don't really do that much serious off-roading.....yet. The plan is to upgrade to 31'"s when these babies wear out, hopefully with new cragar wheels. The truck is still on the sacked-out factory shocks (166,000 Kms on them and they're getting pretty bouncy) but will be getting Ranchos at the same time I do the steering.

Suggestions?

Yeah, if you don't offroad it, you can go with a stock one, and it'll last you a few years at least. They wear out quicker when you're flexing out the front end, with big tires. When I ran 32" tires, I had a perfect stock CL in my truck. One moderate trail, and it was toast.

I purchased the calmini system. The one thing that wears out is the idler arm bushings. You can prevent them from wearing out by making sure you lube the idler arm through the zerk fitting after the first few wheeling trips or just keep trying to pump grease in there every week for the first month from when you first installed it. When it comes it is really tight and there is no room for grease. I tried greasing when it was new and could not get any grease pumped in it. But as it initially gets used it will wear in and allow you to pump grease in. this will prevent further wear as the grease will get between the bushings. They wear out because people do not grease them after the wear in period and it continues to wear until it gets too loose. It would also help if calmini explained this. Or even came with half decent assembly instructions.

As for the price the calmini kit does replace the pitman arm and the idler arm and they are really beefy. (pics on site do not do it justice.) Now whether that justifies 2 times the price that is up to you to decide. I just know I have been really happy with mine. I probably have about 2500 miles of everyday driving and hard wheeling with 32" tires and my new rims stick out more than the old ones. I am sure that put more stress on the steering.

And as for bump steer there is not much on mine.I have 3 inch body lift and the so called 3 inch suspension lift I am cranked up pretty good and my cv angle are quite extreme. I installed everything at once so I do not know what the steering would have been like with the suspension lift without doing the steering. The steering felt the same lifted as it did stock (except for the lesser turning radius due to the larger tires)

Just my 2 cents.

Mark

The time has come to replace the Pathy's front steering and I'm interested in some feedback on the available options. I see that many of you have gone with rebuilt or aftermarket centerlinks like the ones Hoohaa is making, while others are opting for the Calmini kit. I'm curious to hear some of the pros and cons of both options. Seems like going with a new CL is about half the price of the Calmini kit, but it doesn't address some of the weaknesses in the Pathy design. (i.e. bump oversteer, loose feeling) The Calmini kit apparently improves some of those things but I have heard stories about them wearing out very quickly. Is there a "better" option? I'm really not crazy about any kind of loose feeling in the front end.

My Pathy is a 95 XE 4X4, still completely stock. I'm currently running 235 75R15s as I don't really do that much serious off-roading.....yet. The plan is to upgrade to 31'"s when these babies wear out, hopefully with new cragar wheels. The truck is still on the sacked-out factory shocks (166,000 Kms on them and they're getting pretty bouncy) but will be getting Ranchos at the same time I do the steering.

Suggestions?

Edited by msavides

Yeah, if you don't offroad it, you can go with a stock one, and it'll last you a few years at least. They wear out quicker when you're flexing out the front end, with big tires. When I ran 32" tires, I had a perfect stock CL in my truck. One moderate trail, and it was toast.

If one moderate trail will kill the thing, then that's not the way I want to go. I'm pretty new to the off-roading scene and I'm not hard-core like some of the guys on here, but this thing will definitely be seeing some dirt & mud. Just not much in the way of big boulders and super crazy stuff - all the broken parts can empty out a bank account in a big hurry. In addition, this thing is a daily driver for my job with a railway, which involves a lot of driving around on VERY rough access trails. In fact, some of these "roads" are worse than some of the trails I've been on up around McLean Creek. In short, I want this to stand up.

Maybe bigger tires are the way to go? My buddy has been doing this for a while and he seemed to think I would be OK with the 31"s, but is bigger necessarily better? How big can I go without putting in a lift, and I would imagine the bigger tires will only increase wear on the steering components. Hoohaa's "remanufactured" CLs look interesting - I like the idea of getting rid of the ball joints.

31's will fit on your Pathfinder in stock form. Many of the WD21's came with them from the factory. My old one had 31's to begin with.

A "moderate" trail by some people's standards is an "extreme" trail to others. I base that purely upon my experiences on the trails, in comparison to others.

For pics of what I'm referring to, check out my webpage (actually, mine, and Pezzy's) for some pics of the trail. The first time I ran it was only with 3" suspension lift and 32" tires. I did not do the hill climb pictured......that had to wait until the body lift, and bigger tires were added.

http://www.canadianpathy.com/photos/bobcmay2607/index.htm

Oh, and just to let you know....the Red WD21 with the ARB and aluminum rims is my old rig. The red WD21 with the Snorkel is SkinnyPedal's rig, and the Green R50 is Pezzy's.

Edited by Simon

31's will fit on your Pathfinder in stock form. Many of the WD21's came with them from the factory. My old one had 31's to begin with.

A "moderate" trail by some people's standards is an "extreme" trail to others. I base that purely upon my experiences on the trails, in comparison to others.

For pics of what I'm referring to, check out my webpage (actually, mine, and Pezzy's) for some pics of the trail. The first time I ran it was only with 3" suspension lift and 32" tires. I did not do the hill climb pictured......that had to wait until the body lift, and bigger tires were added.

http://www.canadianpathy.com/photos/bobcmay2607/index.htm

Oh, and just to let you know....the Red WD21 with the ARB and aluminum rims is my old rig. The red WD21 with the Snorkel is SkinnyPedal's rig, and the Green R50 is Pezzy's.

You guys have some awesome places to wheel. I am Jealous.

Mark

Thanks man. This link is the best trail I've ever run.

http://www.canadianpathy.com/photos/ardbegjun1607/index.htm

The south trail is 32kms long. The first time it took us 8.5-9 hours to complete, the 2nd time (not those pics) took us 12. It's a difficult trail, made harder the 2nd time by many fallen trees, and deeper, more slippery obstacles due to rain. Unfortunately, I couldn't wheel it the 2nd time, as my truck was broken. :(

Sorry to hijack your thread, Digger....but I posted the first link to show my idea of a moderate trail. :FartExplode-vi:

If one moderate trail will kill the thing, then that's not the way I want to go. I'm pretty new to the off-roading scene and I'm not hard-core like some of the guys on here, but this thing will definitely be seeing some dirt & mud. Just not much in the way of big boulders and super crazy stuff - all the broken parts can empty out a bank account in a big hurry. In addition, this thing is a daily driver for my job with a railway, which involves a lot of driving around on VERY rough access trails. In fact, some of these "roads" are worse than some of the trails I've been on up around McLean Creek. In short, I want this to stand up.

Maybe bigger tires are the way to go? My buddy has been doing this for a while and he seemed to think I would be OK with the 31"s, but is bigger necessarily better? How big can I go without putting in a lift, and I would imagine the bigger tires will only increase wear on the steering components. Hoohaa's "remanufactured" CLs look interesting - I like the idea of getting rid of the ball joints.

Well, you can fit up to a 31 on a stock truck. Depending on how much sag there is in your springs and tortion bars they might rub a little bit. When I went to a 31 I also changed wheels, those wheels sat out further so I rubbed from that. I personally think our trucks are about perfect with 31s, I have wheeled with some people and taken the same lines over the same obsticles that they did with their 6" of lift and 33s and they break. With the 31s your axel gears are still OK, 32s and 33s seem to dog our trucks without regearing. The 32s and 33s also add a lot more mass onto the end of the spindle that your steering has to try and move. What will tend to bust things is trying to use too much skinny pedal especially in low gear, which is offten needed to get those larger tires moving on a trail. Even with aftermarket steering I have seen low gear toe in the front tires on trucks pretty bad.

I have only gone through 1 center link and 1 idler arm shaft in 6 years of recreational trail riding (about every other month). I usually hit the moderate-difficult types of trails. I still have stock components, though I have added a steering stabilizer and an idler arm brace.

I never had an issue with power, or gearing with my 33's. My steering stays true, and it's a Hoohaa CL. I think the main thing is control.....don't over gas it, and you'll be fine.

Yeah....so I've heard. At any rate, I've just installed the 2nd one he sent me on my new truck, and they've both been rock solid. The only reason for the replacement is taper size, as I initially had a small taper model..

I deffinately would NOT use that.

What is it that you don't like about the Hoohaa CL? Seems to be quite a few guys on here using them and not many compaints. Have you had a bad experience with them, or just not crazy about garage industry stuff?

What is it that you don't like about the Hoohaa CL? Seems to be quite a few guys on here using them and not many compaints. Have you had a bad experience with them, or just not crazy about garage industry stuff?

I met him once, and do not trust him one bit. I also have no faith in his abilty.

I'm a big fan of custom fab, but know there is a lot of booty fab out there.