Hushpower Ii's

02silverpathy

As I near the eBay point with the sale of my BMW, I am gathering even more goodies for the Pathy/QX4 to come. I am interested in getting the rest of my exhaust components. I have read many many sites on the web about the Flowmaster Hushpower mufflers (almost glasspacks). It seems that no one with a V6 has posted to say what they sounded like.

I am wanting to use 2 of these mufflers along with the "X" pipe that i have already collected to make a true dual set up.

Sooooo, anyone here heard a set of hushpowers on a V6 anywhere?? Trail; Hot rod show, Rat rod show, anywhere?

Thanks to all for every bit of input!

I have got a hushpower muffler hooked up to my pathfinder. It fell off a couple of weeks ago (stupid clamps) and then since it was hot I strapped it to my roof rack and it flew off the roof rack. After all of that I did a little straightening out of the ends and I just welded it on permanently. It took alot of abuse and they are extremely durable. It still sounds the way it did new so nothing got broken. It has a really deep V8 tone at low rpm however it gets a bit ricey at the upper 3000 rpms. That was with not tail pipe. Once I put the tail pipe back on it still has the tone (just not as deep) and it is not ricey anymore. This is with the stock tail pipe I imagine it would gain some noise with a larger tail pipe. One think I noticed My tail pipe never got hot with the stock exhaust I could grab the tail pipe with my bear hands after 20 min of idling. With the hushpower installed (I also have thorley headers installed) the tail pipe gets hot enough to burn my hand after about 5 min. From what i hear this is a good thing.

Mark

BTW. the hushpower is nothing like a glass pack.(except for maybe shape) there is not glass in this muffler all solid stainless steel.

As I near the eBay point with the sale of my BMW, I am gathering even more goodies for the Pathy/QX4 to come. I am interested in getting the rest of my exhaust components. I have read many many sites on the web about the Flowmaster Hushpower mufflers (almost glasspacks). It seems that no one with a V6 has posted to say what they sounded like.

I am wanting to use 2 of these mufflers along with the "X" pipe that i have already collected to make a true dual set up.

Sooooo, anyone here heard a set of hushpowers on a V6 anywhere?? Trail; Hot rod show, Rat rod show, anywhere?

Thanks to all for every bit of input!

Edited by msavides

Flowmasters are a matter of personal taste - and tolerance. Because they are a simple resonance chamber design, they muffle some frequencies but can actually amplify others. They do have to be a tendency to be very loud and resonant at certain rpm/throttle settings. Some think this drone is "cool" or powerful sounding, others find it is just plain annoying.

Magnaflows sound better. :) And most Flowmasters still have that horrible highway drone/resonance problem.

No Resonance problem with mine, then again I only have one. This is not the same as a standard flowmaster Not even close in any way. Total different animal.

Very Cool info....hopefully more folks will jump in here! I am planning on using 2 Hushpowers and an "X" pipe to form a free flow high scavange exhaust...the only concerns I have are the intruck moan, and not enough back pressure to push the rig down the road. From what I can tell, the 3.5 loves to breath...on my 3.3 I had the flowmaster 50 SUV, it was awesome! Great sound no drone, totally aftermarket. Just gave a great V6 growl....I am just not sure that there is room for two independant mufflers under there!

Is there a need for 2 mufflers, or would the dual in dual out 50 series work the same for flow?

again this is open to anyone, I know that there are a lot more experts out there than this!!

I am no expert but I do think your concern may be right about your back-pressure if you run two true duals, you will probably lose either your low-end or your high end torque (again I am no expert) I personally think if you ran a 2.5" dual pipes in and out of one muffler I believe you would get better sound and possibly a better amount of back pressure. It would be a different story if it was a v-8 because then I would say hell yeah go true duals. How big are those hushpowers? Fitting both of them and running duals might be an issue. Unless your not planning on doing any off-roading, then I would say run your set-up and just hang them low and have them dump out just after the mufflers. I have always liked seeing that set-up on old camaros etc but I have never seen it on a pathfinder. Good luck 98 and keep us updated.

I am no expert but I do think your concern may be right about your back-pressure if you run two true duals, you will probably lose either your low-end or your high end torque (again I am no expert) I personally think if you ran a 2.5" dual pipes in and out of one muffler I believe you would get better sound and possibly a better amount of back pressure. It would be a different story if it was a v-8 because then I would say hell yeah go true duals. How big are those hushpowers? Fitting both of them and running duals might be an issue. Unless your not planning on doing any off-roading, then I would say run your set-up and just hang them low and have them dump out just after the mufflers. I have always liked seeing that set-up on old camaros etc but I have never seen it on a pathfinder. Good luck 98 and keep us updated.

Hushpowers are not big at all. They are straight in and straight out. Kinda like a glass pack in looks but nothing like it in the build. I will get a photo of my install to post.

Mark

Pftharrt, Phfarrt! BUMP!

Is there a need for 2 mufflers, or would the dual in dual out 50 series work the same for flow?

This is open to anyone, I know that there are a lot more experts out there than this!!

Normally aspirated or single turbo/blower sixes (both V6 and I6) seem to do better with a single larger diameter exhaust. This improves flow and scavenging at the same time. Some of the Z31 (84-89 300ZX w/ VG30) guys tried true duals and the results were not very good - they got better power with a single 2.5" or 3" pipe.

You can do duals if you want, but IMHO, it's kind of silly. Unless you have at least four cylinders per bank (or twin turbos), a single will be better.

Edited by GhostPath

Logical, I have seen both myself, with a turbo'd eagle talon...single was better! But the cousin to this engine in the 350Z has true duals all the way?!

I will alter my theory slightly here...I have started to lean towards the 1 muffler theory. I like the Flowmaster 50 Series Delta that has dual 2.25 in and dual 2.25" out, can I/Should I use the "X" pipe I already own in order to improve scavenging? Maybe after the muffler, in order to make a small vacuum out of the muffler and pull through the muffler a little? Or stick with it before the muffler?

.............of course there is the chance that having a single muffler kills the "X" purpose all together!

You need the X-pipe to aid scavenging, as you're not going to be able to mount a muffler that close up, not unless you're putting undercabin dumps!

Nissan's been putting dual exhausts on cars that would do better with a single for sport models (the market demands it for V-type engines) or because of routing/clearance issues (one large pipe wouldn't fit).

I'm not that familiar with your truck's stock layout, got a pic?

Finally, I really wouldn't get a Flowmaster. They say "reduces" cabin resonance, not eliminates it. It's also going to restrict flow, see below diagram from their website:

deltatech.jpg

Notice the baffles and all the turns the gas has to make. Not all that great. Check out this Magnaflow diagram:

mufflercutout.jpg

Edited by GhostPath

post-1014-1185146731_thumb.jpgThis is a pic of a hushpower muffler...they are a straight through design....I would use 2 of them after an X....seems that all of the 350Z aftermarket cat-back exhausts use some sort of balancer, and depending on the brand use 2 straight through's at the end tied together to look like 1 muffler. Edited by 98silverpathy

post-1014-1185146731_thumb.jpgThis is a pic of a hushpower muffler...they are a straight through design....I would use 2 of them after an X....seems that all of the 350Z aftermarket cat-back exhausts use some sort of balancer, and depending on the brand use 2 straight through's at the end tied together to look like 1 muffler.

It's not straight through. You can't see through it. From Flowmaster's website, a diagram of the Hushpower II

hp2_cutaway.jpg

Doesn't look very straight through to me - bet you can't even see from one side to the other.

Here's a typical Magnaflow - I have two of these on my Jaguar XJ6:

IMG_0788.sized.jpg

IMG_0786.sized.jpg

They don't get much more free flowing than that.

Edited by GhostPath

stock theres a muffler and a resonator down there, what about using two of these mufflers in line, what does that do to the sound? any ill effects there? also what if you used 2.25 pipe to the first muffler then 2.5 or 2.75 to and through the second? im not trying to pull this off in a whack direction here just got me thinking while i was reading this.

It won't do anything beneficial. The muffler doubles as a resonator. Also, the smaller diameter pipe would be the limiting factor.

You generally want a uniform pipe size from manifold/header to the exhaust tip for best results.

Manufacturers use the muffler to attempt to quiet most noise from the engine, then use the resonator to amplify what they think are appropriate frequencies.

SWEET! These magnaflows are already on a car of yours...how do they sound? Please give displacement of your Jag, and give as much detail as possible. I have listened to many sound clips and think that due to the 4 cat converters on the path that with a X then 2 of whichever brand of "straight through" it would sound low with little rumble while breathing better....