4WD question

skibum

So my 2001 XE doesn't have true 4WD, it has limited slip and 4Hi and 4Lo is limited slip. I found this out last winter trying to pull a Dodge Durango out of a snow drift and saw there were 2 icy patches under my truck one where the front wheel was spinning and one patch for the back.

I was embarassed or humiliated when another friend with a real 4x4 came by and pulled the durango out like butter... arrgh!!!

Since i've paid off my truck I'm not interested in getting a new one with the fancy options.

There's got to be a way i can get 4WD locking hubs.

Replace the transfer cases? How pricey is that?

i have the old fashioned 4WD. when it is engaged the turning radius is negatively affected.

That's absolutely normal. There is no such thing as full, 4 wheels spinning at the same time, 4 wheel drive, off the factory floor for a Pathfinder. Pulling the transfer case lever doesn't do anything to your differentials to make them work in unison. The front diff is open, the LSD slips, as you've noticed, and they don't offer any way to do anything about it. There's only one transfer case. You can install manual locking hubs, but your front axles are ALREADY locked fulltime due to the design Nissan gave them. You have drive flanges in there right now.

You can install ARB air lockers front and rear, but they run about $700 each plus a $250 compressor and installation cost...

EVERY vehicle with 4WD has a terrible turning radius when in 4WD. The tires are locked together front and rear via the transfer case, making it a bit hard to spin circles. See, the rear tire wants to go straight forward and the front tire wants to turn, but at the same time they just have to make a giant circle instead of a tight one. That's how it works.

So my 2001 XE doesn't have true 4WD, it has limited slip and 4Hi and 4Lo is limited slip

If I understand what you are saying correctly, you are suggesting that your TRANSFER CASE is limited slip... and that is NOT correct - the transfer case gets locked into 4-hi or 4-lo. That is a solid engagement - limited slip in a transfer case refers to something like an AWD viscous center diff. Your truck has a part time x-fer case - either on or off - not capable of slipping...

Your rear differential however, that is another story - that could have a limited slip diff, but I think that an open diff is more likely in an XE Finder...

"The system offers the driver the choice of 2-wheel drive, 4-wheel drive or "automatic" setting, in which the system instantly distributes torque to the front wheels - in the precise amount that is required to restore traction only as required - and then returns to rear-wheel drive operation."

the above quote is the critical part of the All-Mode AWD system. You have a choice of 2WD, 4WD or AWD... I have this system in my 02 LE and love the "auto" setting when it's raining or snowy/icy... This is, however, a much different drive system than what is in skibum's XE...

There is a multi-plate wet clutch in the center diff of my truck that provides AWD function. You can also select 2 Wheel High, 4 Wheel High or 4 Wheel Lo with the transfer case in addition to the auto setting...

that is a great article though - great find... :clap:

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, i was thinking differential not transfer case.. brain fart.

My tires are Bridgestone ATs not the stock HTs,

The ATs were recommended by a friend who has done quite a bit of off roading and mods to his old cherokee, and from my current exp with them i think they are great. He now owns a bright blue dodge 4x4 pickup.

But the truck that pulled the durango out was another friend with a dark blue dodge pickup with the 4wheel drive "off road" package which apparently is not offered any more. Stock... the truck is already raised quite a bit, beefier tires and suspension components. he also had the proper towing strap, hooks and bolts etc. (which i now have purchased.)

2 buddies of mine swear by the dodge 4x4. If it was built in Japan I'd probably buy it.

I've been in a regular dodge 4x4 in the winter and it is rock solid and i feel very confident about the traction and handling, it seems the suspension is stiffer and the wheel base is wider. Then for A-B comparison back my truck same road (new ATs), ug! I had no confidence at all.

I want the same winter handling and traction in my Pathfinder without having to buy a %#$%@ dodge!

Locking hubs? Stiffer suspensions? Extend the axles? add sand bags!?!??

One thing the two dodge trucks have in common is Tires... fat and wide and resemble puffy donuts rather than regular SUV tires.

Smaller rims, bigger and rounder rubber.

I'd love to make my 2001 more like the pic on either side of the NPORA FORUM CENTER logo!

If you want to increase traction, the first and best single purchase you can make to upgrade you rig is tires. They will make the biggest difference for the most reasonable amount of money spent. If you've already bought new ones and are still struggling for control, you might want to step up the tread depth and lug size. BFG AT/KO's are what my brother's boss uses on his landscaping fleet -he says they are great for all conditions with reasonable road noise levels. If you are going to spend a good deal of time wheeling, get a more aggressive pattern such as BFG Mud Terrains, or the Goodyear counterparts. Personally, I like when the tires hum down the pavement. No other upgrade you do will give you as much bang for your buck as new shoes.

I was embarassed or humiliated when another friend with a real 4x4 came by and pulled the durango out like butter... arrgh!!!

None of those additions would drastically change the situation you were in - the only mechanical advantage the Dodge may have had would be a locking rear diff, sometimes part of an 'off-road' package, but not always.

The Pathy 4wd system is as capable as any other 4wd system, with the exception of one with lockers. (and not getting into an IFS debate)

Bridgestone ATs are not bad tires at all, assuming they weren't bald, but no tire does well on ice.

Maybe the Dodge succesfully pulled the other truck out because the bigger wheelbase put it on an area without ice? Or the combination of meatier tires, overall wieght and more horsepower?

Don't blame yourself or the Pathy 4wd system if a Dodge 2500 yanked out a Durango when you couldn't - Durango's are good sized SUVs and he was stuck in a snowdrift, which adds drag wieght exponentially... it's hard to beat a full size PUs weight and horsepower for towing (or yanking).

Kinda sucks to have to drive 'em daily tho.

m.