2.4 Carb Perfomance

Ok Ok, a lot of you know about my little project 720 (its coming along quite well, new interior, rust repaired, and paint)

but now i need to look at another approach. what do i do to get more oomph out of my little 2.4? its carbuerated with a piddly weber carb. help me out folks

there is no emissions laws here, so anything goes

a v8 WILL fit, just dont know if i wanna go that route yet.....

and i'm on a budget, so anyhting you can throw at me will help

I can offer you nothing to get a Nissan 4cyl engine pumping without spending a swag of hard earned.

Keep in mind that you can put in any engine combo into your 720. Your divorced transfer case gives you plenty of options.

If you don't want a V8, try a Buick V6 and gearbox. They are cheep and easy to come by. Steer clear of the Nissan V6 though. It is just as gutless as the 4cyl. IMO of course.

I, too, would immediately be considering a heart transplant. A GM 4.3L Vortec immediately comes to mind as they are quite plentiful with a lot of aftermarket support, but there will be a LOT of work involved.

I'd roll out a nice 3.8L GM V6 and TH200 or TH700R4 for the freeway mileage. It'd be awesome. :D If I had the money, that is.

You can get a different carb for it, or attempt to transplant the FI components on, but it's not going to make much difference...

2.4L carbed: 103 HP @ 4800 RPM, 134 ft-lbs torque @ 2800 RPM

2.4L TBI: 106 HP @ 4800 RPM, 137 ft-lbs torque @ 2400 RPM

V6 TBI: 145 HP @ 4800, 166 @ 2800 RPM

The 4-cylinders respond poorly to bolt-ons, making headers, intakes and cheap mods basically worthless and a waste of money. :( I had a friend who put a Pacesetter header on his KA24 and he said it didn't make any difference. It was louder, that's all.

If you're not dealing with the 4x4 issues, then your possibilities are even more endless. The GM3.8 is a good motor. It's an archaic design, but also tried, tested and true. Lots of them around, and lots of support.

Of course, a VQ35 would be really cool too....just to keep it all Jap. Tons of power in that motor as well :aok:

• 2 months later...
Ok Ok, a lot of you know about my little project 720 (its coming along quite well, new interior, rust repaired, and paint)

but now i need to look at another approach. what do i do to get more oomph out of my little 2.4? its carbuerated with a piddly weber carb. help me out folks

Put another (larger capacity) engine in it.