Got My Brothers 89 After Sitting For 3.5 Years!

cooleeze

Hey I'm Greg from Vancouver Canada. My brother had his 89 sitting for 3.5 years and I raised it from the dead. It fired right up!! There is some rust issues I will have to fix but it looks pretty good!! It's a 2dr SE 5spd Blk/Grey and I own it now!!

I really think I need some shocks for it, they look OEM and it feels pretty cushy, any suggestions? I want it to be a moderate wheeling machine(no rock-crawling for now anyway)

Back in the day we'd go wheeling and this thing always kicked major butt in the bush. He had some mudders on(31's) and it did stuff that lifted toys and chevs couldn't(or they had to make multiple runs at) So what sets these apart, why are they so good?? Is it the suspension?

I got my work cut out(have to build a new exhaust, fix the rusty hole area under the rear seat, tune up,ect..) but I've got all the tools and I'm really looking forward to getting out there and just start wheeling!! I'm itching to just take it out now!!

Cheers!!

hello and welcome to the family! (i will let thomas remind oyu to change the timing belt).....

they make great wheelers for the following reasons:

they are the underdog. therefore, they have something to prove to the "big dogs"

they are fairly light for an SUV at 3800-4000lbs

their axles are pretty much the equivalent to a D44

they are japanese.. built to LAST

your brother had good tires :laugh:

Thanks for the welcomes!!! Yes I'm totally with you on the Japanese part, I'm into Supras and have a 3rd gen with 400+RWHP and it's amazing what most of the stock parts can handle(bottom end, tranny, drivetrain, list goes on...)

Timing belt is something I should definitely do.

With the shocks, any suggestions? no lift in the too near future, want good bang for the buck(who dosen't, lol)

Is a 2.5" exhaust a good size to go with on these? and any muffler recommendations for a nice sound(not too loud or ricey)

I have a million questions and will probably be asking a lot, all your help is greatly appreciated.

It's funny cause I know a lot and have done a ton of work on my car but feel like I'm starting over again...

Thanks again!!

Welcome!

The Procomp 3000 series shocks compare well to the rancho 5000's and can sometimes be had cheaper.

Congrats on your purchase (gift?) :)

oh yeah, i run rancho's n love 'em, and if you clicky the linky poo to the right of ym sig pivcs, and go to my videos, i have 2 or 3 sound clips of my exhaust system on mini me. (2.5" pipe, hf cat, thorley headers and flowmaster 50 series muffler)

have fun!

here are some links to different exhausts...

http://npora.ipbhost.com//index.php?showto...l=exhaust+sound

Edited by Slick

Very cool, thanks all!!

One more quick question: Is there an online service manual for our trucks? I know my brother has a Haynes but he dosen't have a clue where it is. I want to get on that timing belt!!

BTW Simon, I traded him for my Xbox 360 with a high def DVD drive and a few games. I never have time for video games these days,lol. He moved to a very urban area and isn't driving for the time being so.... That's how I scored!!(I have wanted it for a while and guess I was waiting for an opportunity) Hee-hee(STOKED)

Thanks again.

Welcome to the NPORA Forums and congrats on the "new" Pathy :aok:

If you look in the garage you'll find a link to an online/downloadable service manual. it's for a 1994 but it will cover much of your truck. The intake will be the most noticeable part of the manual that will not help you. But there are a few of us around here who have them for the TBI Pathys (1987-1989) Who can help you out if needed.... 88Pathoffroad and myself included.

Deeper in the Garage, in the "How To's" section you'll find a write up by 5523Pathfinder (a Nissan Tech) on how to change your timing belt.

As for shocks, both Rancho RS5000's and Procomp ES3000's are comparable and will server you well. As Simon pointed out, the ProComps can often be found for a better deal than the Rancho's.

Ok ok, yeah your right more than just the intake is different.. but much of it can still be used. In many cases it will be better than nothing :shrug:

I guess it kinda depends on your mechanical skill to begin with, for those more enclined it can serve as a good guideline.

Checking Craigslist and ebay for the proper year manual would be the best way to go :aok:

Thanks a bunch guys!!

I took out the back seats and.... wow theres a lot of rust holes. I'll be fixing it though when I get a bit of weekend time along with the exhaust.

I'm almost thinking of just inspecting the timing belt if its easily accessible, but I probably should just change it.

One of the first things I was going to check in the manual would be the fluid types for all the drivelines(diffs, TC, MT) and capacities. Would this be the same as the 94??

Cheers and thanks again, hope to be up and wheeling soon!!