Fuel Pump Sending Unit

mmitsch

I took my Pathfiner to the Nissan dealer today with a "Check Engine Soon" light on. The dealer called me back and said the code told him the sending unit on the fuel pump was the culprit reporting the problem. He charged me $93 for this diagnosis and said the the new pump would be about $400 (said the sensor / sending unit was ok but had to replace the entire fuel pump to fix the difficulty). He said the car was safe but that the information going to the fuel gage was not reliable until it was fixed. He also said he could not reset the light.

Does all this make sense? Is it not possible to fix the sensor without replacing an entire fuel pump?

Please email me at mmitsch@yahoo.com. Not sure if the messages are forwarded.

Edited by mmitsch

Not to be rude, but sorry dude, I for one am not going to go to the extra length of emailing you answers when you can check back in here if and when you should so desire. Just like everyone else does.

It would help to know what year and model we're talking about...

Year, make and model, please!!!!

My 99 kept throwing the P0440 code (small evap leak), and after a smoke test, it was determined that the sending unit for the fuel pump had a small crack in it. The cost of replacement outweighed the resetting of the light every tankfull (I have a inexpensive code reader/clearer). I found it easier to just reset he light every time it came on, but although the fuel pump sending unit is pretty easy to get at (it is under the rear seat on the driver side), I'm just to cheap right now to spend the money on a new fuel pump and sender.

And no, I too will not e-mail you. This is a forum and you can get your info as such.

Instead of requesting an email, which you will likely not receive, you can check the box at the bottom of the screen when typing your topic that says "Enable email notification of replies". This way, you'll get an email at your specified address, letting tou know people have responded. And I agree with the other guys, even without this feature, it's not that difficult to check back occasionally to see if your question has got attention (clearly yours has...). By keeping all of the replies within the forum setting, the information stays in the public domain where it can benefit the greatest number of people - that's what makes these forums work.

As for your question... based on my experience, what you are saying does not make sense to me.

I replaced my fuel pump on my '92 a couple of years ago and just last weekend replaced the sending unit. I do not understand how a faulty fuel pump would give you the problems you describe, unless the sending unit is built into the pump. Mine is two entirely separate parts - the fuel pump sits inside the sending unit assembly, but they can easily be replaced individually.

Maybe your year of Pathy is different.

• 5 years later...

:lol: Just emailed a six year old response. Not one person here responded in over five years. Talk about Zombie thread resurrections. Hold your breath for the results ... :lol:

:rant2: Damnit ... I miscalculated the time lapse. Oh well, I blame the booze.

Edited by devonianwalk