R&r Brake Shoes

fondo

I need to replace my brake shoes and I need to know what all is involved when doing this. I tried searching but my result where less than helpfull so any info would be helpfull aside from turning the drums what and replacing the shoes, what esle should I expect to come across.

Thanks

Get a Haynes or Chilton's or FSM, all the info is in there.

Picking up some kind of basic manual is definitely a good idea. That will at least get you started. Then if things come up, forums like this are an excellent supplement.

Overall, the job is quite straight-forward. A set of spring pliers is a handy tool to have. Along with replacing the springs (as Pavelow mentioned), you should take a look at the brake wheel cylinders and axle seals to make sure neither of these are leaking. If there is oily residue around, that means things are leaking and it's simply a matter of time before this becomes an issue. Leaking gear oil (axle seals) and brake fluid (wheel cylinder) will quickly contaminate the brake shoe material and cause the brakes to bind or lock-up quickly, with very little pedal pressure - not a safe situation. And once the shoes are contaminated in this way, they cannot be cleaned and have to be replaced. So if you see anything suspicious in there, this may be the time to address it.

Have fun.

Just had a couple more questions about this repair. First off I replaced the shoes and loosened the star adjuster all the way so I could get the drum to fit over the shoes. Now I have a lot of pedal travel before it even begins to stop. So should I bleed the rears or is there something else I should do? I have heard of reversing and then slamin' down the brake pedal to adjust the star adjuster. Does this work on our rigs. Thanks

I'm not sure if it works on Pathy's with drums. But I've done it on a few rear drum equipped vehicles, and it did help. One was a brand new Hyundai Elantra, and the girl who owned it thought her brakes were shot already (Under 20,000kms) because of the really long pedal throw.

Bleed them well first, then manually adjust the adjusters through the access hole in the backing plate.

Ahh 88... I didn't even think about those access holes on the backing plate that have the rubber inserts in them. I just bled the rear system (starting at that sensor or load sensing valve or whatever it is thats mounted about in the middle of the frame rail then bled the rear passenger wheel and then the rear drivers side wheel) and now I have excellent braking. But I will go in and adjust that star adjuster sooner or later. This I my first time ever changing brake shoes and at first I thought I was doomed but I really didn't have whole lot of trouble once I figured out how it all works, also I bet you could do this job without all the "specialty" tools required, not sure about other makes or models but really all you need is a good set of vice grips or needle noses and a flat head screw driver... IMO