Replacing Upper Coolant Bypass Hose....driving Me Insane!

crystallinesheen

Good lord, I had no idea that this 5 dollar hose would make my life a living hell. It is the only thing holding me back from a fine running Pathfinder. I've trimmed probably 1/2 inch off of each end of hose, and it still doesn't want to slip on.

So I also read what was available on these forums about this, and no one mentions that you have to take off the back timing belt cover....but my hands are too big to leverage this little bastard hose into place. I am about at the end of my rope with this thing....so how does one go about taking off the camshafts? The nut on them seems to rotate each camshaft rather than turn to remove the camshaft sprocket. If anyone can give me pointers dealing with this nightmare of a hose, I would be eternally gratefull!! :bounce:

Edited by crystallinesheen

i never took my rear cover off..... it's all about patience and skill.. make sure the hose is the exact length of the old hose, make sure you are putting it on the right way (pay attention to the curve) and loose the nissan clips that are there and go with some hose clamps...... a SMALL amount of vaseline on the OUTER edge of the hose, some wiggling, fanagling and luck, and presto.....

i put the bottom of the hose on first too ;)

Edited by Slick

Yeah Slick, thanks for getting back to me. Nobody else seems to have as much trouble as I have with this thing. It's hard for me to compare the two hoses' length, as I had to pretty much tear the old hose apart to get it out. Boy, I thought that was hard to do....putting the joker back on is so much harder....

Yeah Slick, thanks for getting back to me. Nobody else seems to have as much trouble as I have with this thing. It's hard for me to compare the two hoses' length, as I had to pretty much tear the old hose apart to get it out. Boy, I thought that was hard to do....putting the joker back on is so much harder....

you can see all the scratch marks from where i removed the old one. it was a PITA, but being a chick, i have long, slender fingers (big hands tho)... first thing i did was toss the factory clamps...... got me some hose clamps.... but before oyu put them on, do a mock install, cuz if oyu don't get the tightener side right, you won't be able to tighten them. i should know lol :rant2:

patience is KEY with this job ;)

Holy crap, that would be a pain to do it that way. I replaced mine when I did the timing belt, thermostat, waterpump, cam seals and all of the hoses. I think as long as I replace that hose everytime i do the timing belt I should never have to do it that way. That sucks.

you can see all the scratch marks from where i removed the old one. it was a PITA, but being a chick, i have long, slender fingers (big hands tho)... first thing i did was toss the factory clamps...... got me some hose clamps.... but before oyu put them on, do a mock install, cuz if oyu don't get the tightener side right, you won't be able to tighten them. i should know lol :rant2:

patience is KEY with this job ;)

Just went outside on a fresh day to try this thing again.....arrragggggggghhhhh it still doesn't go on!!!

Msavides, sounds like you took off the camshafts to get the back cover off. Did you use an impact wrench to get off the camshaft nuts? I probably need to replace the cam seals anyway.....is that the only thing (besides the connecting bolts) holding the rear cover in place?

I'd also like to know of any precautions while removing these camshafts, other than obviously keeping them aligned in relation to their TDC.

ya mine just blew on me 2 weeks back, was a b**** to get on, cracked 2 other old hoses just trying to get to it, might try stickin it under hot hot water see if it'll loosen it up alittle make it easier to slip on, it took me 2 days before i finally got it on completely.

Not sure the specific hose your after, but here's a couple of tools that have made my hose antics a bit easier. Maybe they'll help you? I got my hose pliers a Pep boys, and hose clamp remote pliers at sears. Good Luck.

http://www.sjdiscounttools.com/skt90246.html

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/disp...temnumber=37909

Just went outside on a fresh day to try this thing again.....arrragggggggghhhhh it still doesn't go on!!!

sounds like you need the hot soapy water treatment, whilst shoving something into the hose that makes it a tight fit....... help stretch it out a bit.

all you disgusting pervs. SHUT UP. i am trying to help and had no other way of explaining the procedure. :tongue:

Edited by Slick

So I also read what was available on these forums about this, and no one mentions that you have to take off the back timing belt cover....but my hands are too big to leverage this little bastard hose into place. I am about at the end of my rope with this thing....so how does one go about taking off the camshafts? The nut on them seems to rotate each camshaft rather than turn to remove the camshaft sprocket. If anyone can give me pointers dealing with this nightmare of a hose, I would be eternally gratefull!! :bounce:

use a screwdriver to hold the camshafts in place i broke the bolt when the t-belt was still on. and make sure you tourqe the bolt back in you son't want the same mistake as i did.