Just Picked Up My New Baby!

husky570

My trusty ol 91 Pathy finally bit the dust (tranny grenaded) its seen some hard miles and I retired it to my brother, but I picked up a 2001 Pathy with 54,000 on the clock. Can anyone tell me any particular pros/cons about this particular model , things to look for ?

Not a whole bunch showing up as real problem areas on those yet. They're too new! Congrats on the purchase. :beer:

The only thing is the rear control arm bushings that have a tendency to wear out quickly, giving you a wobble/loose feeling on the highway. Either you can replace the bushings, or the arms themselves.

The only other complaint I've heard of from late R50 owners is the BOSE stereo dying prematurely. Not a huge issue by any means.

Not a whole bunch showing up as real problem areas on those yet. They're too new! Congrats on the purchase. :beer:

The only thing is the rear control arm bushings that have a tendency to wear out quickly, giving you a wobble/loose feeling on the highway. Either you can replace the bushings, or the arms themselves.

The only other complaint I've heard of from late R50 owners is the BOSE stereo dying prematurely. Not a huge issue by any means.

I was curious about something else I noticed too, when you really gun the motor the transmission doesnt seem to slam into gear, it shifts very smoothly, especially when shifting into passing gear on the highway, is this transmission known for being very smooth, when it does go into passing gear the RPM's seem to rise faster than the speedo--is this normal ? Am I too used to the older auto transmission which was a bit harsh shifting ? Maybe Im being to paranoid that the tranny is shot and is slipping

A friend of mine had a 2001, and even with the throttle pinned, it shifted very smoothly at all times. Remember, you're 10 years newer.....the vehicle is far more refined than it's older version.

Oh, and on the "passing gear" it's dropping into 2nd. In 3rd, your gear ratio is 1:1, with 4th being overdrive. So yes, 2nd gear the RPMs should rise faster than the speedo.

Edited by Simon

A friend of mine had a 2001, and even with the throttle pinned, it shifted very smoothly at all times. Remember, you're 10 years newer.....the vehicle is far more refined than it's older version.

Oh, and on the "passing gear" it's dropping into 2nd. In 3rd, your gear ratio is 1:1, with 4th being overdrive. So yes, 2nd gear the RPMs should rise faster than the speedo.

Well thank you Simon for your prompt and reassuring replies, makes me feel a world better!!!!!

I have an 02, with the AT.

Only "big" issue was the BOSE 6CD changer, it has died. Other than that is has been a good truck. No issues with AT shifting, not as smooth at the Sienna we have but still quite nice.

One thing i found when I bought mine (used as well) was the lower rear part of the front fenders (you can see into here when the front doors are open) were filled with sand and not draining water away. Check to make sure the drains are clear or you may run into rust issues later on.

Thanks , Ill have to check that out then. Some more questions------Does this vehicle have a timing belt and when should it be replaced and does this auto transmission need to have a bigger aftermarket cooler installed ?

If its a 3.5(which it should be), it has a timing chain. I would watch out for failing cam timing sensors. Not very hard to replace, but a PITA when they fail. Also, have seen some ignition coil issues causing mystery run rough situations. The stock cooler should be fine, unless you tow. If you tow often, get a bigger cooler. Other than that, pretty good rig!

One thing I would do for sure is get the trannie serviced unless you know the service history of the vehicle. Goes for the engine, transfer case and diff oil as well. Also do the air filter and fuel filter.

I have had intermittent issues with a cam timing sensor, just enough to set off the SES light.

Thanks , Ill have to check that out then. Some more questions------Does this vehicle have a timing belt and when should it be replaced and does this auto transmission need to have a bigger aftermarket cooler installed ?

:search: theres alot of good info on the board just look into it

Thanks for all the info guys, this forum is great compared to some of the other forums I have been on, and yes I already bought some belts and gonna do all the fluids/filters as soon as I can. Oh and Spasibo Terrano.

Edited by husky570

You may be a little pre mature for the plug change but I saw lots of difference after cleaning the TB and the plenum, while your in there check those butterfly valves and locktite the screws! beware the brass monkeys (thanks for the name 98) im just over 79k on my 02 and did that plus some other work before an 850 mile weekend, glad i did it :)

Lets see... lets see..... Pros and cons....hmmmmm well! You def have a lot of pros! hehe. 3.5l engine. tons of hp and torque to play with. 4WD is just amazing on it. One of the top rated motors! Looks bad a$$ in IMO. And only gets better from there on. :aok::D