Auto - To - Manual Swap

mickyficky

I recently posted that my auto tranny is dead. I've always said that if this happened I would put in the 5-speed

I can't do it myself. No space, no jacks, limited tools, and very limited time (not to mention limited experience :crossedwires: ).

I have read past posts and see that a few of you (sammyb, 88, trailchaser) have done the swap youselves.

Has anyone ever heard of having a shop do the swap - even if I find the manual tranny???

Seems like they wouldn't.

---How do I get a manual HELP, I don't want that auto-crapic in my car anymore.......

Edited by mickyficky

i have the trans, thunderbox (dave, my better half, otherwise known as Mr Transmission), and all the weapons of mass destruction you need. all YOU need to do is get the pathy up here :crossedwires:

I have a complete 88 pathy (5 speed) so the gauges wouldn't be an issue

i'm in CA :tonguefinger:

Edited by Slick

I'd be a little worried about the labor costs, but I don't see why a good shop wouldn't do the swap. It's 100% bolt on. You might want to print out a little "how to" of the install from here to give whatever shop you hire. I'm sure they'll act like they don't need it, but will end up using it.

Main thing to keep in mind... In 92-94 somewhere nissan went from analog to electronic speedo, and you should get a matching tranny if you want a speedo. I did about an hour of work with a dremel to get the old speedo equipment into the gauge cluster on my 95, and I still haven't hooked it up. I still need to drill a hole thru the firewall(behind the engine) to run the cable from the transfer case to the back of the speedo.

Be sure to tell them about the proper fluid level.

David

ok. Mickey, you have a 95 right? if so that means you have the Electronic VSS located in your transfer case. that means that you can use any transmission from 87-95 (of course the ones with the VG) and it will bolt in, no need to deal with speedo cables, or anything as long as you keep your current transfer case.

i did my swap in my driveway with normal hand tools a few jacks (i would highly recommend a tranny jack and a good service manual) and multipul trips to advance :)

so goodluck!!!

thanks for all the replies.

I do have a 95.

Slick, we should talk $ and time.....has Dave done this swap before??

I'm going start looking for a manual just to see whats out there.

sammyb, I thought you had an auto up for sale???

Is it really that easy to do the swap, I'm a decent mechanic, but it seems beyond my abilities......

i do have an auto tranny up for sale. because i completed the swap on my own 95. i now have a 5 speed.

eh, have you ever changed a clutch before? if so, then you can do this swap. if not, i would not take it on having never really worked on a car in that area.

Slick, are you still interested in helping with my trans swap? Is Mr Transmission interested. How much for the tranny in your 88?

sammyb, I've never done a clutch swap. Some posts make the auto-to-manual swap seem easy and some make it seem hard. My transfer case is fine, which just makes it bolt on.

Other than the trans jack, what specialty tools would be needed?

Has anyone ever purchesed a refurbished trans? Ever dealt with phoenixhardparts.com. They have manuals and autos for about 1000.

ok. basically it is not a hard job. overall if you can turn a wrench and read a manual you can do the swap. the only problem is, i have only ever been shown in person when i was younger how to install a new clutch, and have never actually seen any literature on it (like a how 2 with pics) so if you have never done that, i wouldnt be able to explain it real well. otherwise you can rent the specialty tools at advance like a pilot bushing puller (thats the only one that comes to mind) and then otherwise its all just plain wrenches.....