Problem After Installing Manual Hubs

JoeBob

so i just got some manual locking hubs from warn and... installation went just fine.. jacked it up.. locks... unlocks.. just fine (is it supposed to have a little play btw?)... and... i took it for a test drive just to see if alls well and......... my brakes lose almost all pressure..... put my foot down till it hits the bottom and i slowly slow down... wtf... what does that have ANYTHINg to do with the hubs.. so i did a u turn to go back into my parking spot.. and as im turning fully to the left i hear a nasty grinding coming from the left tire.. sounds like the breaks all right.. get out.. look at it.. dont see anything irregular. and even after the turn it continues to grind driving strait. it stops the grinding after i turn a bit more... so i also noticed that if i go in reverse.. and pump the brakes, the brakes go back to normal only if i stay in reverse. if i go forward again the brakes lose pressure again...

so anyone know wtf? was i supposed to put the snap ring back on after? didnt say so in the instructions.. take off off washer B [with the teeth], washer A [no teeth], and brake B. Was i supposed to take off the lock washer and the wheel bearing lock nut?

thanks

joebob

k thought so.. do i put it on the outside slot thingy to put it on? or the inside.. id ont see how it would fit on the inside one... and.... i dont see how that has anything to do with the brakes ><

it should go on in the same place where it came from, put the new hub on and then the snap ring to hold it in place, as for the brakes couldnt help ya there, the only thing i figure is that the rotor is someing loose from the caliper, dont know what to tell ya

Not sure about WARNs, but with stock and MM manual hubs you move the snap ring to the outer groove on the shaft.

As for the brakes, I have no clue what could cause nothing forward and working in reverse.

wow.... as above on the snap ring, yeah, ya kinda need that.

as for the brake issue.. that's really weird... have you pulled a wheel off to see what's up? do the hubs lock and unlock properly when the truck is in motion? (i know you have to get out to lock/unlock them.. what i mean is are they functioning correctly)

Not sure about WARNs, but with stock and MM manual hubs you move the snap ring to the outer groove on the shaft.

D'oh...after reading your post it got me thinking about my Warn hubs that I recently installed. I put the snap ring back in the normal spot on the CV shaft. I thought that was wrong, and after seeing XPLORx4's install pics, I know it is now. I wondered why it sounded like I had rice krispies in my wheels when I went wheeling, but I think it's because there's a little play in the CV shaft due to where I placed the snap ring. Oh well, at least it's an easy fix. Let's hope I didn't mess up anything else because of my mistake, but I think not. P...

Without the snap ring in place the hub is probably moving around on the spindle and the brake rotor is attatched to the hub. That should have a definate effect on the brakes, no?

No. Basically you can yank the hub and the shaft and still drive it just fine. The shaft is just used for when you engage 4wd and the hub is just to engage/disengage the shaft to the spindle.

D'oh...after reading your post it got me thinking about my Warn hubs that I recently installed. I put the snap ring back in the normal spot on the CV shaft. I thought that was wrong, and after seeing XPLORx4's install pics, I know it is now. I wondered why it sounded like I had rice krispies in my wheels when I went wheeling, but I think it's because there's a little play in the CV shaft due to where I placed the snap ring. Oh well, at least it's an easy fix. Let's hope I didn't mess up anything else because of my mistake, but I think not. P...

where are XPLORx4's install pics :o

and was i supposed to take off the wheel bearing lock washer and nut?

so i opened it up... sure enough the wheel bearings were loose and like.. fell off the thing.. probably part of the problem eh heh.... i couldnt get the wheel bearing in... the whole shaft was angled downward.. i jacked it up and then it fixed it.. so the wheel bearing is back in.. hopefully no permanent damage in there... that might fix the brake pressure thing too we shall see ^^ but yes after researching lots of other websites i am supposed to put the snapring back on the outer place

ok put everything back together.. and now it works fine.. no grinding.... the wheel was off ballance basically and the rotor was pushing against the break pads at an angle.. all due to the bearing nut not being on eh heh but it works just fine now ^^

why do 1 hour jobs turn into 3 hour jobs for me ><