Fan Clutch Going Bad, I Think? Any Suggestions?

jfoust

Hello everyone... I posted this on "that other site" and wanted to see if there are any other thoughts here. When I got in the Pathy to make a run to the store last night, I noticed a bad squeak has developed under the hood.

I got home and checked my belts, and they all are in decent shape and I didn't have time to do much more than that. This morning I noticed that it was doing it again once the truck warmed up to operating temp. It only does it when it's idling, though; once I get on the gas it's quiet. So I made a note of that and when I went to lunch I noticed the exact same thing.

So after doing a little reading, I went back out to see if I could turn it by hand and I can freely turn the fan as much as I want... I turned the engine on and looked at the fan and it does still run, but there's a awful noise. I have a feeling it's the clutch.

If that's the case, while I drain the radiator and pull it, I'll probably do the timing belt/water pump/cam seals and just knock it all out at once, as I am on the verge of hitting 100,000mi any time now. I know some of you might think that if the water pump isn't acting up that I shouldn't mess with it, but I'd rather go ahead and do it while I'm in there instead of waiting for it to die on me and then going back to do the job!

Thanks for any input on the fan noise you can give...

-Jeff

I don't know about Pathfinders but I've seen fan clutches grenade on BMWs (I work for a dealership) and it's not pretty. I would do it if you're in there anyways...just for peace of mind!

Edited by projekz

I know some of you might think that if the water pump isn't acting up that I shouldn't mess with it, but I'd rather go ahead and do it while I'm in there instead of waiting for it to die on me and then going back to do the job!
Exactly the opposite. I you've got the money for one, definately replace the water pump while you're in there. I didn't take that advice and it crapped out soon after, within 5k miles or so i think.

Exactly the opposite. I you've got the money for one, definately replace the water pump while you're in there. I didn't take that advice and it crapped out soon after, within 5k miles or so i think.

My thoughts exactly... I know I've heard people saying don't do it if it's not broken, but I'd rather do it while I'm in there and try to save myself from ending up on the side of the road!

Funny thing... On my way home from work today it must have been in the mid 90's and I didn't get the noise when I had gotten it last night, this morning and this afternoon, so I don't know what the deal here is. I might just do it all for peace of mind, seeing as how it is acting a little funny and needs to be done soon anyhow!

Check your harmonic balancer. They tend to separate at the rubber joint and squeak. Get underneath, grab that puppy and see if it moves in any direction.

Thanks for the tip! I'll check that when I get home tonight.. Didn't think about the harmonic balancer.

It probably is the harmonic balancer. I had the same thing, I thought it was a loose belt, because it was squeeking a bit, so I sprayed a TON of belt conditioner on all my belts, and suddenly the noise was completely unbearable. Turns out it was the harmonic balancer, and while I had that done, I also had all the drive belts changed.

It probably is the harmonic balancer. I had the same thing, I thought it was a loose belt, because it was squeeking a bit, so I sprayed a TON of belt conditioner on all my belts, and suddenly the noise was completely unbearable. Turns out it was the harmonic balancer, and while I had that done, I also had all the drive belts changed.

I did the same thing, thinking it was a loose belt, but now I know. Thanks!