31x10.5 Tires With A 3" Sl?

N6VMO

My '87 Pathfinder is in need of a lift. I am considering either the Calmini or AC lift kits.

Can I still use my new 31x10.5s?

Will the kits really include everything that is needed or will I be surprised by having to purchase additional hardware such as brakeline extensions, etc?

I have average mechanical abilities with appropriate tools, can this lift be completed on a Saturday?

Thanks, this site is great!

Search around for suspension lift options. It can be done cheaper, and better than either, of those kits with a little legwork.

roughcountry Upper control arms + torsion bar crank in the front = 3" of lift

Jeep Grand Cherokee front coils, installed in the rear = 3" of lift

Total cost, somewhere around $200-300.

Your 31" tires will look, and function just fine with 3" of lift.

Why wouldn't you be able to use the same tires you already have? Obviously they fit with no lift.

The AC lift kits are crapola. I wouldn't run one if someone gave it to me. Rough Country is real nice, works well. Calmini is overpriced/overbuilt but is a good kit.

It helps to soak down all your bolts in a penetrating oil or rust loosener for a few days prior to installing. especially if your truck is a little rusty. If you are re-using bolts, make sure you clean the threads off with a wire wheel before putting them back on the truck.

There are some bushings that go in the upper control arms that I hear can be a pain in the a$$ to install so you might want to find someone with a bearing press or something along the lines of that to make the job easier.

:laugh:

It helps to soak down all your bolts in a penetrating oil or rust loosener for a few days prior to installing. especially if your truck is a little rusty. If you are re-using bolts, make sure you clean the threads off with a wire wheel before putting them back on the truck.

There are some bushings that go in the upper control arms that I hear can be a pain in the a$$ to install so you might want to find someone with a bearing press or something along the lines of that to make the job easier.

Ok, this is the kind of info I needed. There is nothing worse than getting your vehicle apart and discover you need aditional hardware or specialty tool to install the 'kit'.

Any other pitfalls I should be on the lookout for with either the Calmini or AC SL kits?

Thanks,

By searching a bit you can pretty much come up with all the possible issues that members have come across.

In my own experience we had to torch out the old spindle bushings and used the torch to heat up the sleeves enough to get them off. I also sheared off the aft two bolts on the drivers side and passenger side upper ball joints. As they were 12 yrs old I just went ahead and replaced them rather than fighting to extract the bolts. Other than that, everything was pretty much straight forward.

I am running 32x11.5 with just a bit of fender flare and lower valence trimming.

Total time for front end was approx 5 hrs, rear springs took about an hour total.

Good luck!

Search around for suspension lift options. It can be done cheaper, and better than either, of those kits with a little legwork.

roughcountry Upper control arms + torsion bar crank in the front = 3" of lift

Jeep Grand Cherokee front coils, installed in the rear = 3" of lift

Total cost, somewhere around $200-300.

Your 31" tires will look, and function just fine with 3" of lift.

I would recommend this option as well.... And I have a Calmini.... yes it was a full kit, did not need any additional parts, just tools. Once I am done with my 91 I will be using the RC UCA's on my 95 and run 31" tires...

Yep. Stock UCA's will stay in one piece, but the upper balljoints will be at an unfavorable angle and a proper alignment will be tougher to accomplish. Hence the aftermarket UCA's. They address the BJ angle problem and the alignment problem.