TICKS CRACKS and CLUNKS!

Ramithepimp77

Hey everybody hows everyone doin?

WELP Im gettin kinda worried about my rig. Every time I turn (or the weight shifts left to right NOT SURE if its steering related) I hear CLUNKS and little CRACKS.

If I were to take a left turn and then turn left AGAIN I dont really hear the noises. This holds true with right hand turns also.

If anyone has had this problem let me know please.

RAMI

Could it be the bolts on the front that are mentioned in the "common problems/fixes" sticky on the top of the forums? Based upon the fact that if you turn left, it does it, then if you turn left again, it doesn't, that would mean that any movement would have happened on the first turn. Sounds like it to me. Anyways, it's a 10 minute fix. Just tighten the 2 bolts as mentioned in the sticky.

Good luck

cant be cv's cause they dont turn unless you are in 4wd

i agree with Simon have you checked those bolts - its a good start anyway

• 2 weeks later...

That's the sound I'm hearing now...like a metallic ticking and at times a high pitched clank that occurs only on turns [left or right]. Checking under the front end, I found dried out ball joint dust covers on the upper and lower ball joints. I have the ball joints on order for my 92 Pathy [4x4].

My question is how do I get those ball joints off the knuckle spindle? I went out this morning and tried to pry one of the upper ones off but no luck. Aside from using a Nissan special tool, is there a garage tip someone could give me? Nissan service manual says to remove the hub and drive shaft in order to "press off" the ball joint using their tool. Gotta be a Cro Magnum method to this madness. RC

Fist try a pickle fork. They cost about 10 bucks or you can usually rent them.

If that doesn't work get a floor jack and cram it in between the control arms, jack it till it won't jack anymore an hit it with a hammer. usually pops loose.

WARNING This Method could be dangerous.

Well, I'm not sure about the upper ball joints, but I tried to remove a lower one on my 95, and there was NO way I was getting it out. Tried a ball joint tool (think it was referred to as a pickle fork) Tried a HUGE crowbar, tried pry bars, tried hammering all of them to "shock" the ball joint loose, but could not budge it. I had to eventually swallow my pride and take it in to have it pressed out.... :oops:

If you can get the upper one off, please let us know how, as I have one of those to do as well.

Good luck :aok:

I called AutoZone to see if they sold ball joint presses [C clamp style] and to my surprise they will rent them for free! There is a $99 deposit, refundable on return. I'll give em a try when my ball joints come in. They should be here tomorrow if Im lucky. RC

I called AutoZone to see if they sold ball joint presses [C clamp style] and to my surprise they will rent them for free! There is a $99 deposit, refundable on return. I'll give em a try when my ball joints come in. They should be here tomorrow if Im lucky. RC

yup, and that makes the job a real cinch. pop! and they are out. pop! and they are in. It really is that simple...