Ok, The Ac Lift Is Done, But Now...

PDCCD

Well, it took me around 5 or 6 hours to do. I spent a bit of extra time running the fill nipple for the Air lift Bags up and mounted it in the gas fill compartment. Nice and protected there.The truck looks great, and handles well too. I took it on a camping trip this weekend, loaded to the roof and with the air lift bags at 5 psi, it barely sagged at all. I kept them low psi hoping to break the springs in a bit. The nearly 300 mile round trip went off without a flaw. I did notice the topping out on little quick bumps, not a pleasant experience but expected.

Now the problem. I noticed while turning the wheel without moving, or moving very slowly, that there's an odd noise from the front strut. It's sort of a dud, dud, dud as you turn the wheel. I got out, had the wife turn the wheel and watched as the strut turned in it's arc. It seems like the top is binding slightly, then when it releases due to the turning, it does it's dud, then sticks again for a small moment, then dud again as the wheel continues to turn through it's arc. As though the strut bearing isn't functioning smoothly, but roughly? Make any sense? I used the KYB strut bearing kit AC sent. I was short on time with work hours being long and didn't want to chase the dealer. Anyway, could this be a break in issue, or do the KYB bits suck that bad? Any way I could have installed it incorrectly? over torqued or something? I used a small mirror to look up there, and it appears seated neatly. Also, the sound comes mostly from the drives side, but the passenger side is binding slightly too.

I did a search for strut bearing and read through the results. Wasn't a lot in this area. I'm hoping to hear that this is just a break in issue and it's happened to others before i go back and rent the spring compressors and tear it apart again. Thanks for any help.

Wow that's interesting, especially b/c I was just wondering about those bearings/mounts myself...

No idea, sorry.

Yep, I saw your post too, thought maybe mine would contribute to your decision if I could generate some input. Looking back at it, I'd suggest going stock, that way, even if my problem isn't the bearing, i would know for sure. Kind of one possibility eliminated.

Thanks for the suggestion, but i'm sure it's not tire rub. Darn thing is lightly binding at the top of the strut. I sprayed it down with wd40, but it helped none.

When I had my old SE-R and slammed it 2 inches without changing the bearing or mount it binded like hell as well, I know the exact sound and feeling your talking about. Defective part maybe?? Bad bearing?

When I would turn my wheels after putting my lift on my strut bearing would make a weird sound it turned out that it was catching on something I am not sure what, but the bearing just needed a little time to break in. And now it is nice and smooth, and quite. My tires only rub when I am at full lock to the right, and there is nothing you can do about it, unless you want to move your fuel lines.

Edited by trogdor

Ehhh, thanks guys. I appreciate the thoughts. I guess I'll give it the week, if it doesn't go away, I'll re-rent the compressors and take it out to check it out. I'll probably go to the dealer and buy the stock replacements if I go that route, just to rule out a faulty bearing. Just to clarify, these were new kyb strut bearing kits from AC. Also, my tires aren't rubbing. I only went with 31x10.5x15. I had to reshape some plastic liner with a heat gun, but otherwise i've got tons of clearance.

What a pita. Thanks again.

Pete

Got any pics of the noisy side Pete? Up in the wheel well would be sweet.

I'll try to take one. It will probably be a mirror shot. Space is pretty tight up there. Then i'll have to host it somewhere...

img0167xv0.th.jpg

img0171mi3.th.jpg

These are left and right side of drivers strut looking in. Any help? oh, and today, both sides of truck are making the noise and binding. Grrrrrrr.

Edited by PDCCD

My KYB's did the same thing on the front left, as I ride 'em they got quieter, Been a couple months though. Guess it takes a while for them to wear in. Will probably replace bearings when I put in spacers & bumper.

When you replaced the struts, the top mounting plate was indexed to the bottom spring perch correctly, right?

13strut_alignmark.jpg

Hmmm. I know I got 2 out of three for sure. I lined up the triangle with the inside and the W with the wheel. I'm not positive that I seated the bearing mount like that though. Can I hope that there's only one way it will fit? I just spent the day slowly taking the struts out, buying the OEM bearings and putting it back together. The noise has gone away so far. The KYB bearing is intact, but it's @!*% compared to the OEM pieces. There's nothing inside the two pieces but what appears to be silicone lube maybe. It's watery. Reminded me of KY liquid lol. And they will bind with the slightest hand pressure. That's it. The OEM one is filled with grease and has some sort of bushing inside. The kyb was plastic on plastic.

Now you've got me worried about that bearing seat...

And while I'm at it, xplorx4, how do you like those spring compressors. I rented the Sears type from the auto store, but they were a PITA. I could never fit the impact on both. One or the other only. The other I had to hand wrench. I saw the brand you have in that picture, they're Kentool right?

Edited by PDCCD

Strut mount only goes in one way.

Thanks pal, I thought so. So now all should be well. I'll find out shortly. I plan to write up something with pictures to show other Newbs like me they shouldn't take shortcuts and buy the KYB bearing. Hope to help out some others so they don't have to do the job twice, and waste money on crappy parts too.

Edited by PDCCD

And while I'm at it, xplorx4, how do you like those spring compressors. I rented the Sears type from the auto store, but they were a PITA. I could never fit the impact on both. One or the other only. The other I had to hand wrench. I saw the brand you have in that picture, they're Kentool right?

They suck. The ones I used are Harbor Freight specials. I'm done with using springs compressors like that. They take a long time to compress the AC springs, and it makes my [very loud] garage air compressor run way too often. Plus, after a few uses, they start to self-destruct. I've had to work on struts several times (my own plus helping 3 other R50 owners install AC lifts), and I think I need to upgrade my tool arsenal. I'm now looking into getting a more "professional" level spring/strut compressor, such as this, or a less-expensive one such as this one or this one:

scsc.jpg