Time For New Exhaust, Suggestions?

SnakeS

Hey guys,

The exhaust system on my 98 pathy is pretty rusted and is making rattling noises. I was just wondering what is the price to have it all redone at midas or the mufflerman, any specific parts needed. Also my pathy does not have a catalyitic converter?!?! Thanks

Your Pathy should have FOUR catalytic converters. Two right after the exhaust manifolds and two underneath. You don't want to have Midas do it for you unless you have money to burn. I'd look through a phone book for a smaller local mom-and-pop type muffler or exhaust shop, then go in and talk with the guys and see what you can come up with that makes you happy. Chain stores usually only replace stock parts with stock parts, and at the highest imaginable price.

yeah i thought something was odd, funny thing is it just passed safety with no problems. On an unrealted matter there is a scratch in the plastic glass that is infront of the gauge cluster, are there any products that would take it out. I've seen meguiars plastic x for headlights would that work. thansk

• 2 weeks later...
Wow 2.5 or 3in. I donno that is a little much in my opinion. 2.5in single will be more than enough and a muffler of your choice. Flowmaster, Dynomax, Magnaflow or any other brand will do fine.

88 Pathy and cohen,

Which setup would you recommend for optimal gas mileage? I'm in the same boat as a SnakeS with a rusty exhaust.

best,

G

t

I did a magnaflow at first with 2.25in pipe then I didn't really like the sound so after a year or so I went to a 40 series Folwmaster and like it better with still 2.25in pipe dumped after the muffler. I have 33s and get 15mpg in town.

I was also told by a local "mom and pop" shop that i have had some prior experience with that I should stick with 2.25 as 2.5 or more would adversely effect my torque, thoughts? after we talked about what I wanted for it he suggested a flowmaster 50 series thoughts there too?

I was also told by a local "mom and pop" shop that i have had some prior experience with that I should stick with 2.25 as 2.5 or more would adversely effect my torque, thoughts? after we talked about what I wanted for it he suggested a flowmaster 50 series thoughts there too?

They speak wisely. 2.25 is enough for a low rpm 3.0 liter, 2.5 would be ideal for the 3.3. Anything bigger than that is overkill and will cost a little low end torque.

Also, when you get it done ask if the shop will fab. up a baffle connected to a cable in the cab to divert the exhaust gases through a train whistle. Let me tell ya, it's great for some laughs and really catches people off guard. B)

I just installed a dynomax with 2.5in pipes on my 95 on the advice of someone else that was happy with that set up. If I could do it again I would have gone with 2.25 dia pipes or smaller, I definitely noticed less low end power after the new set was installed. On the other hand once I'm on the highway the pathy really seems to have a lot of power in the 60-75mph range. I'm also not thrilled with how loud the muffler is at high RPMs, it's a little embarrassing driving through the neighborhood, but again with smaller pipes it probably would be a little quieter. Also I got totally screwed by my local meineke(sloppy workmanship), so unless you have had experience with the shop be careful. Cost wise it was like $85 for the muffler and cat from summit racing, and 180 for the pipes and labor to install.