Radiator Reservoir Overflow

PATHRIDER

Yesterday I checked my radiator and it needs some coolant so I put the cap back on and headed to autozone to pick some up.After being parked for about 15 mins there on the way back to my pathy I noticed that its overflowing from the reservoir so I top the radiator off and fill up the reservoir to the MAX level and headed home. about a few seconds after turning the motor off its overflowing on the reservoir again . I would say about a quarter to half a cup evetytime I turn the motor off.What would cause this?

I know its not the radiator leaking coz the drip is coming just below the overflow hose on the reservoir on the drivers side

Thanks fellas

Edited by PATHRIDER

Try replacing the radiator cap with a new one. Since you own a '93, I'm willing to bet it's original. I would start there.

Thanks Bry. Does it need to be oem or one that I can pick up at autozone woulod work?

The MAX line is generally were the coolant should be when at full operating temp. When cold (which is the only time you should be taking off a rad cap btw unless you are VERY careful) the coolant should be at the MIN or LOW mark (not sure what a 93 has). If you overfill the system, it will just blow out the excess anyway as 88 pointed out.

it was low yesterday when I took it to autozone and at the parking lot it was overflowing already without me having to top it off yet.

Im going to try a new rad cap.I kinda thought that my rad cap is a bit loose when I removed it yesterday to check my coolant and putting it back on was the same.I hardly have to push down on it to lock it

Thanks Bry. Does it need to be oem or one that I can pick up at autozone woulod work?

I'd just avoid the cheap crap. Stant makes a decent one. OE would be better. Like the other's have said; don't fill the bottle to the max line if cold. Good luck and let us know how you made out.

Ok, I recently replaced the cam seals, timing belt, ,*thermostat, waterpump, and coolant bypass hose. My temp needle is about where the half way mark is or above on 65 degree or hotter days, so I guess I got a different t-stat this time that allows the coolant to flow at higher temps. Bought the t-stat at autozone and it is a failsafe kind, which means it doesn't close if it is worn out. Question is, what can I do to reduce engine temp.... or is this thermo what I should be runnin?

THANXS