R.i.p Patty

ILoveMyPatty

Well... it was a lonnnnng night for me.

Started off by working on my friends Ranger with him, fixing his 4wd and installing Warn Manual Hubs... Then we went for a cruise to test his 4wd.

Came upon a puddle, which had been driven thru by a friend of mine two days ago.

I decided I could do it.

Don't ask me why I got a 10 foot run at it... I figured it was muddy, and not THAT deep...

I sucked water in and she died about half way through the puddle... sorry, pond. Water leaked into the cab. I de-robed and waded in my boxers and bare feet, to discover that the bottom was infact GRAVEL not MUD. 4L 1st gear would have done the trick.... My friend with the Ranger pulled me out and we let her drain out for about 15 minutes and tried to start her. Something was wrong with my battery, we ended up jumping it and she started. Now there's a LOUD click coming from the engine... sounds like I bent a rod or something? It doesn't sound too good. From where I was I ended up limping it to the pavement, shutting it off and coasting when I could. I called the 24-hour Emergency Service line at BCAA (British Columbia Automobile Association) for a tow truck. I'm a Plus member so I get 6 free tows of up to 160km (100miles) per year. A 150km tow to my house was in order. Arrived home at 2:00am, a half hour ago.

Now she sits in my yard waiting for me to show her some loving.

Not sure what I do now... do I try for a 4.3L swap or 350 swap? Do I swap in another Pathy powerhouse (wooo!!) or do I just get this engine fixed...

Since I don't have the funds to get the ball rolling right now... I'm thinking of an old Yota with the potential to be a project truck just to get me around for the summer.

It's a sad, sad sight. I let my friends down... they never thought this would happen to my baby, since I'm always the one that outperforms. I guess all good things must come to an end.... Now, just to think of what to do....

Oh and... One of my friends got pictures of it in the pond... I'll see if I can round them up

I'm actually really sad... I dont have much mechanical experience, and next to no money right now...

Dono what I'm going to do.... :cry:

Yeah I was a bit like that.

Try a compression test that should tell you if you have a bent rod.

Shame about the distance between us as I've got a spare motor.

Keep us posted and keep you chin up :beer:

Cause a bent rod will cause one piston to have more travel right? Increasing psi within the cylinder?

Or am I totally off..

It sounds like one piston is topping out almost... I dono.

Same travel but lower compression ratio so lower PSI.......I think :D

Check the ECU too...Water.

Please tell me you removed all the spark plugs and wound it over to get any water out of the cylinders.

Think +

:beer:

how bad of a "knock" is it...does it sound like metal on metal or is there a possibility that you managed to wet the dizzy and corrode an electrode and/or corrosion on the plug wires where it connect on both ends or knocked a wire loose...

the 95 that i got from wheelman had a lil knock in it the other weekend and i cleaned all the plug wires and made sure they seated in the dizzy (they werent and must have been arcing to complete the spark) but anyways after i did that the knock went away (sounded like a lifter ticking but not as loud) can you take a video and let us hear?

does it seem low on power?

does the exhaust smell like raw fuel?

have you changed the oil yet was it milky?

like i said maybe you got lucky and some how soaked the dizzy and it killed it but didnt actually ingest water...my 87 would always run like @!*% after i got done wheeling and it was where the dizzy would get wet...she drank some water/mud a couple of times and i never knew it till it was time to change the filter and i saw the stains in the air cleaner box...how far was the water over the hood?

Man, I'm sorry to hear about your path ((((

Well, first thing you need to do is find out what really is wrong, what's broken, the price of repairs, replacement, etc. Then you can decide and plan something. Please, keep us posted !

Is the "dizzy" you speak of the distributor cap?

I didn't want to rev it very high, because of the ticking noise, so I'm not sure if it's low on power. I would imagine it is, since it stalled several times getting it out of the bush. I didn't take her over 2000rpm, fearing something would REALLY go wrong.

I haven't checked the exhaust smell.

Haven't changed the oil, I checked the dipstick and it wasn't milky, I changed the oil 500km ago. I'll go check it tomorrow now that I've got her at home.

Water wasn't above the hood which is suprising... it was only to my doors..... wierd

Intake box didn't look that wet on the engine side of the filter, but then again it was dark and I couldn't see well, flashlight fell in the water.....

I'll try to take a video of it tomorrow so you guys can hear it. It's pretty loud. I don't know what a ticking lifter sounds like, but to me this sounds like a piston is moving too far or something... and topping/bottoming out. I dono.

I'll get a video so everyone can see/hear what I am.

Thanks everyone, I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Hey, think the timing belt could have slipped and the timing is off?... maybe? or am I just hoping for the impossible

Sorry Rami.....must of forgot

Max also slipped my mind

we need to start the "drowned pathy club"........

first off, have you pulled your spark plugs? have you checked under the seat to see if the ECU got wet? If it didn't get wet, have you run it for codes? have you opened the air cleaner box and cleaned it out/checked for water in it? have you checked/dried out all sensors and connections?

do a compression test..... that will tell you if anything is wrong there. ;) good luck. and welcome to the club :lol:

Edited by Slick