How Long Will My Timing Belt Last

DaveS

i was wondering how many miles my timing belt will last 4 i have a 88 pathfinder with the V6 it is a new vehicle to me. the timing belt was replaced about 60.000 miles ago.

thx, Dave

well, it should be changed every 60k. but i would definately change it at 90k. i've seen them go 200k+ before, dont could on it making it much past 90k.

I had mine changed around 110-115K, and it was 4 teeth off..

did you have to rebuild the top end? b/c its my understanding that the vgs only have like a 2 tooth tolerance

i should have also added that if u r in doubt change it...b/c you will eat valves if it breaks...see below the 2nd valve from the right in the back is a straight valve the others are 2 bent intakes and 1 bent exhaust...intakes from cylinder 1 and 3 and exhaust from cylinder 1

2050078_46_full.jpg

Edited by unccpathfinder

it should be changed every 100k miles

Um, NO!!! for an 88 it is 55k or 60k miles (can't remember which). You can put it off, but possibly at the expense of damaged heads or even more grief. Best plan to change it/have it changed soon. There are plenty of threads/how to's about it here.

B

How Long Will My Timing Belt Last
Exactly 1/4 mile less than you wish it had. It's always easier and less expensive to maintain a machine than it is to repair or replace it. You'd be better off if you started putting aside time/money every 60k.

It will last until it breaks and then you will forever wish you had listened to the people in this thread that said 60K.

A timing belt is not something that should be "pushed" it's an inexpensive part (replacement is really cheap if you do it yourself) and way to critical to your engines longevity to risk going beyond the recommended intervals :togo:

I'm with red on this. it's no joke and not something that can be put off, or allowed to go over it's change intervals. $20 belt vs. $800 motor rebuild. you choose.