Hello From Maine

PDCCD

Hello Forum,

My name is Pete. I've ovned my 2002 Pathfinder for about four year now, and was just considering selling it to buy a Defender 90. But, the Defender is WAY expensive, has less power, and there's nothing wrong with the pathy. So I came to the conclusion, I'll just upgrade it. And that's how I found you all!

I've been reading this forum for a couple of weeks in my spare time, and it seems full of people willing to help out and I'm hoping to be of some use here too. Thanks for this great resource, and in advance for any help with the tons of questions I have.

I'm gonna catch some heat for this I'm sure, but Defenders are the beez knees.

HAHA, yes, they are the "beez knees", but man, come on. $40,000 for a 10 year old 4x4 with decent miles? The only way i could justify it to the "boss" (wife) was if it would tow my 12x14 enclosed trailer well. But from all I can find, it's under powered v8 couldn't hold a flame to my pathfinder. The pathfinder is nearly paid off, is in excellent mechanical condition, has a proven dependable power and drive train, and from the looks of things around here, with a little love and much less money than i'd have spent on a defender, pretty trail worthy and better looking. If i had $40 grand for a toy, I'd have the truck i've dreamed of since it was first introduced in 94' and I was a senior in high school.

But for now anyway, looks like my pathfinder "CAN DO". Maybe some Rancho 9000x shocks with struts and an AC lift, assisted with Airlift bags might tow my trailer just fine. Whatcha think.

Thanks for the hello's.

I'm gonna catch some heat for this I'm sure, but Defenders are the beez knees.

Not at all, the D-90 is pretty cool... but yeah, hello price tag!

Welcome to NPORA! We'll do what we can to help you get your pathy out on some trails! B)

Not at all, the D-90 is pretty cool... but yeah, hello price tag!

Welcome to NPORA! We'll do what we can to help you get your pathy out on some trails! B)

Ah ha! Pezzy, just the woman I wanted to talk too! I love your pathy, it looks great! Just wanted to know if you had to use shims, and what size tires and wheels you went with. I'd like to follow your example. I'm hoping for the AC with Rancho combo, any opinions. thanks again all!

Thanks!!

I have the AC lift also (went with KYB & Bilstein) :)

As for the wheels, they're 31's -- R275/70R16 -- in order to fit them & not rub the strut, they're on 16" American Racing AR 767's. No shims or spacers.

Welcome to the forums WAVEY

If I were you I would go with the Bilsteins rather than the rancho's. Also, if you are try to save as much money as possible, look at the Cragar Soft 8 wheels. For tires, Discount Tire and Tirerack have the best prices.

Welcome to the forums WAVEY

If I were you I would go with the Bilsteins rather than the rancho's. Also, if you are try to save as much money as possible, look at the Cragar Soft 8 wheels. For tires, Discount Tire and Tirerack have the best prices.

Thanks all for the welcomes!

Now you touch on a problem i'm having. Took weeks to finally decide on the AC lift over the ome, but now I can't decide on the shocks. I see alot of you like the Bilsteins, but I think I might like the adjustablility of the Rancho's for my planned towing. (12x14 enclosed probably near 5000lbs with weight dist. hitch and probably air lift bags) But I'm not sure. Are the Rancho's overkill? Do they have quality issues? I talked to Rancho today, they claim since they don't offer an option for my pathy, they won't warranty the shock, but also called AC, and they said they'd handle the warranty. Are the Bilsteins in the AC kit longer travel? Do they warranty for our trucks? I've been digging through the forums, but geesh, there isn't enough time in the day it seems LOL!

As for tires, there's a regional retailer in the area offering BFG AT KO's with AR 767's for $830 with Alignment, Road hazzard warranty, flat repair, nation wide coverage, balancing, valve stems, center caps, lug nuts, liftetime rotation, winter tire mounting. Just tons of services. Tire and wheel price is slightly higher than tire rack, but by the time I ship and align, well, It seems like a steel haha...

Whatchya all think

Welcome :beer:

Doht! I hate reading threads your in... I get distracted by your user pic LOL!

Thanks for the welcomes. Any more suspension input. I'm ordering before bed tonight so I might have it by the weeekend...

Doht! I hate reading threads your in... I get distracted by your user pic LOL!

yeah. he knows........ even i keep staring at it trying to dance like that...... i am just too old now..... :chairfall:

want to join my club? we go on some good offroad rides/mudding and have alot of fun. i have a garage in kittery where i work on my pathfindedr all the time. you should bring yours down sometime. its not a real car garage but im working on it.