Fuel Filter

I went to the dealer to day to get my oil changed and asked him how much it would cost to get the fuel filter replaced. He said $55.00, I said never mind. Anyway my question is how easy is it to install a fuel filer? And is it located behind the gas tank on a 2001 Pathfinder? Could anyone give me some quick instruction? I don't want to pay $55.oo dollar for a $12.00 part. Thanks.:help:

On my 97, it is located above the rear differential mounted to what seems to be the floor pan for the back seat.

If you look at the center of the photo you can see the gold color filter. The picture was taken looking towards the front of the truck.

Thanks for the pic. Mine is in about the same place. Is there anything special I need to do to change it. Like fuel cut of switch and motor run until it dies? Thanks

• 4 weeks later...

Well, I installed my new fuel filter the other the day. It was $15.00 dollars or so from the local Nissan Dealer and took myself about 30 minutes to install. It was actually a little more work then I thought, but besides for a little gasoline bath it wasn’t to bad. :allclean: I did clamp the hoses but not good enough because I still had some gas come out. I think the next time I’m going to take a pencil and just stop the hose with that. I also learned something interesting from the dealer when I picked up my filter. Apparently as of the 2001 model year Nissan has been installing the fuel filters in the gas tank on all models. This was not the case for my Pathfinder even thought it is a 2001. Does anyone know why they would do this? Maybe to make it harder for the average person to change, or maybe for better filtering? Anyway, Thanks :confused:

post-7-1088010534.jpg

I'd say just to force you to take it in and keep their techs busy. Tried changing the filter on a Chevy "Malibu"- I still refuse to accept that they named it that, such a disgrace. Its external just like any normal filter, but you need a certain GM fuel filter tool to do it, or basically mangle it trying to get it out. What a joke. They're just trying to keep themselves in business.

my '02 fuel filter looks exactly the same as yours does, so maybe they were mistaken when they told you that. But then again, maybe it's true for the vehicles made in the US - Frontiers, Altimas, XTerras, etc...

The maximas (up to 03) and the Pathfinder (up to 04) were made in Japan still...